Annoying Things Mom Said That Were True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

We grow up having to listen to our moms nag at us for what seems like absolutely everything. But when we go off to college and we’re finally on our own to do whatever we want, we find ourselves wishing they were there to tell us what to do. So, here are some of the things that we couldn’t stand them saying but they were right about:

1. If your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?

At the time this was just ridiculous – Mom, I’m asking to go to a party, not to jump off a freaking cliff. But she was right, sometimes your friends, no matter how much you love them, are going to do things you probably shouldn’t take part in… and that’s ok!

2. STUDY

You were just taking a study break on your phone for two minutes, and of course she had to walk in at that exact moment. She’s right though, the more you study now, the less work you’ll have on your hands later. Plus, the study habits she forced into you will help you get through the rest of your academic career.

3. Don’t text him

Why??? But after a while you’ll realize the hard-to-get game is still extremely effective.

4. You’re not going to marry him

Yes, the 16-year-old you was 100% sure this was the man of your dreams and that nothing in this universe could separate you two. Except for two months later when you broke up and you had to admit to your mom she was right.

5. Put on a coat

Why would I put a coat on when I just spent an ungodly amount of time picking out this super cute outfit? Because, as you’ll learn in college, if you don’t you’ll get bronchitis.

6. Tell me who your friends are and I’ll tell you who you are

At the time this just seemed unfair and rude. But eventually you realize what she really meant was you should surround yourself with people who help you be your best self, not people who bring you down.

7. You can go out when your room is clean

This just seemed like the most unfair sentence ever uttered. But when she’s not there anymore to yell at you to clean your room and you realize you haven’t done laundry in three weeks, you’ll come to terms with the fact that if your room is a mess, your head is a mess, and your life is a mess.

8. I told you so

She really did tell you that whatever you did wasn’t a good idea, but you’re still going to pretend that she didn’t.

9. You’re not the center of the universe

When you were absolutely sure that everyone, everywhere was laughing at you, mom had to swoop in with a friendly reminder that most of time, people are worried about a million things that definitely aren’t you.

10. You’re being a drama queen

Bad hair day, mean friends, too much homework… you were definitely blowing the problem way out of proportion and mom was right in telling you to take it down a few notches.  

11. You’re beautiful

When you were going out on your first date and at the last minute nothing looked right, when you were finally ready for prom and you felt like a hot mess, or when you were just sitting there looking out the car window… she told you you looked beautiful with a sincerity that few people ever will.

12. I love you

This one was never annoying (except for when she yelled it really loudly dropping you off at school). But it’s hard to understand the amount of love that was put into making you a decent human being until you have to wait for breaks to hug her and say it back.

So to my mama, and to all the moms out there who give us everything they’ve got, thank you, thank you, thank you! Happy Mother’s Day!