Advice to the Freshmen Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Dear New Freshmen,

Welcome to Gonzaga, home of the Bulldogs and intense basketball fans.  I’m sure the first few weeks of classes have been difficult, overwhelming, exhilarating and filled with your newfound freedom.  Trust me, I understand.  I was there once too.  And since I know how you feel, I thought I would offer you some tips on getting through the most hectic year yet. 

First of all, I’m sure you heard it a lot during orientation, but get involved.  Find a club, join an intramural team, or at least go downtown with some people who live on your hall.  Do something to meet new people and build lasting memories.  One of my favorite parts of freshmen year was my hall celebrated each other’s birthdays together.  Not only does the birthday girl feel celebrated and loved, but you also get to go find a cool restaurant in Downtown Spokane that could become a new favorite!

Second, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.  Talk to people in your classes and group projects.  Compliment the girl who always has the cutest clothes on in your history class.  Ask for help from the smart girl in philosophy who always has something interesting to say.  Some of my best friendships were formed out of putting myself out there in classes that I felt uncomfortable in.  Most of the freshmen girls in your classes are probably feeling just as awkward as you are and need friends too!  Go for it!

Lastly, ask upper classmen to help you out.  Whether it’s the one junior in your English class or a senior in the club you joined, reach out to them if you have questions or just want to know the best way to get more involved in the Gonzaga community.  Upper classmen want to help you out and let you know all of the tricks of the trade.  Taking a lot of classes and don’t know if you can handle it all? There’s a senior who did the exact same thing freshmen year who can give you great advice.  Take advantage of the writing center and the career center seniors who are already there, waiting for you to ask them questions.  Just recently I had questions about study abroad and a senior who just came back from London was eager to help me out.  People at Gonzaga want to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions just because seniors might be answering.

Freshies, welcome to one of the most accepting, welcoming, and exciting communities.  We are so glad you are here and we can’t wait for a great year together.

Don’t forget, GO ZAGS! 

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.