8 Stages of Studying for Finals on Your Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

May birthdays are great! The weather is usually pretty nice, the flowers and trees are in bloom, and you can wear a cute spring outfit. I usually love my May birthday. Until this year….This year and the next two years to be exact, my birthday is and will be during finals week. I guess that’s the price I pay for having a May birthday and attending a university on a semester schedule. At least the madness will be over soon and I can actually celebrate with friends and family this weekend. In the meantime, here are the 8 stages of studying for finals on my birthday: 

1. YAY I’m one year older, that’s an accomplishment right?

Another year older….I guess that’s pretty cool. 

2. Why does my birthday have to be the day before finals?! Why? Just why?

Seriously? Seriously?

3. Oh maybe I can get a free Dutch Bros because it’s my birthday…

Free stuff is the best!

4. But I’ve already had two coffees today…

Trying to convince yourself that you’re not addicted to coffee…yeah good luck with that one. 

5. Okay! Back to studying. This paper is not going to write itself nor will some genius take my astronomy final for me. 

Forever wishing I had a photographic memory. 

6. Hmm I think I’ll treat myself to dessert on my next study break

Not that I need more sugar but…it is my birthday.

7. I wish we were on the quarter system..

Because sometimes semesters are just rough.

8. Okay, maybe I should actually study so I don’t fail my finals 

Good luck with your final exams, papers, and projects!! You can do this!

Kristen Jost

Gonzaga '19

Kristen is a senior at Gonzaga University studying a communication and promotion. She is a social media coordinator for her chapter as well as an executive board member and founding member. After college, she hopes to travel before settling down to work for a marketing firm that specializes in sports and higher education branding. Her hobbies include: watching sporting events, wandering around book stores, drinking too much coffee, discovering new places, and staying active outdoors.