6 Ways to Own the Walk of Shame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Sometimes in college, you wake up in someone else’s room.  Whether you’re sleeping at a friend’s or a more-than-a-friend’s, don’t panic!  These six tips will help you survive that “morning after” walk home.

1. Make sure your clothes are on properly.

Even if you were wearing heels the night before, put them back on! It’s an obvious sign of a walk-of-shame when you’re holding your shoes.  Also, make sure your clothes are on the right way…you don’t want to get home and realize your shirt had been on backwards the whole time you were walking across campus.

2. Check your makeup before going out into public.

Wipe under your eyes to make sure your mascara is (somewhat) in tact. Also, throw those makeup essentials and a hair tie in your purse whenever you go out in case you need reinforcements the next morning

3. Choose the right time to slip out.

If you don’t want to be seen, we suggest leaving between 6-8 AM. If you sleep in and miss the prime time, you’re going to have to accept the fact that you’ll be seen. CAUTION: Beware of mass on Sundays. It can be a seriously awkward moment when you’re walking past the churchgoers in your outfit from the night before. 

4. If you run into a Starbucks or Ultimate Bagel on your way home, stop by!

Pick up some coffee or a bagel so it looks like you planned to be out at this ghastly hour in the morning.

5. Walk with purpose!

Keep your head up, uncross your arms, and slow down your pace. It’s only awkward if you look awkward. Walk like you’re casually going to get breakfast or meeting a friend.  These mornings happen-especially in college-so don’t be ashamed. Own it!

6. Be safe.

If the walk of shame happens because you’re consuming alcohol, be cautious, stay in touch with friends, and know your limit. Don’t go home with complete strangers, and if you’re walking home alone in the middle of the night through Logan, DON’T! Call an Uber or a friend to come pick you up.

Student and Co-Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Portland, Oregon. Major: Public Relations. Minor: Promotions. Loves staying active, finding new music, volunteering with people with disabilities, and drinking vanilla lattes.