jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things you NEED in your Closet for Fall in Spokane

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

In case this is your first fall in Spokane, I have put together some must haves to amp up your fall wardrobe!  They say the way you dress is a reflection of who you are, so here are a few easy additions to your closet that will wow all season long. 

1. Scarves

Fall in Spokane is known to be moody.  Some days it will be 75 degrees and you will be sweating in your fourth floor college hall class by 2:30pm.  Other days, it will be wet and rainy and you’ll wish you had brought a coat with you when you left your room.  Scarves are the perfect accessory no matter what the temperature is outside, and they’ll even make you warmer when you can’t predict the weather of Spokane.  Invest in a few neutrals and add a fun fall inspired scarf for this season!  My favorite is an infinity mustard scarf that I found at a thrift store! 

2.  Boots

Whether these are your classic riding boots or your cute Hunter rain boots, you can’t go wrong with boots in the fall.  Mix it up with a fun pair of hot pink wellies, grey boots that lace up in the back, or maybe even try some short ankle booties if you don’t have any yet!  Having the perfect pair of boots is essential for fall. 

3.  A Heavier (but still stylish) Coat

Everyone knows Spokane is chilly in the fall, especially in the morning.  Temperatures were already at 54 degrees last week when I walked to my 8am class.  The perfect way to compliment the changing leaves is with a sturdier coat.  My favorites come in olive green or a deep auburn.  Anything that is heavier than a cardigan, but not yet a puffy down jacket, falls into this fun category.  Trust me, you’ll love this jacket when you visit Green Bluff and pick apples! 

4.  Fun, Thick Socks

If you’re anything like me, then you love your Birkenstocks!  And I’m a firm believer of wearing those babies all year round.  But the best way to do this in the fall when your toes start to cold in your Birks is to invest in nice, wool (but still fun) socks.  You will definitely appreciate the socks when you have to walk on the wet grass in between Welch and DeSmet to get to Hemmingson.  

5.  A Long Sleeve Dress

When the wind starts to pick up and you have to start wearing a jacket, it’s time to give up the tank top dresses and trade them in for stylish, long sleeve dresses that are perfect for early fall through winter!  Pick a dress that has a fun pattern, maybe in a neutral color, that you could wear with your tall boots for the next few months.  Then you can transition the dress to winter by simply adding tights!  It will be a great way to mix up your wardrobe and keep you from simply wearing jeans all fall long.  

I hope these few extras will help you expand your closet and add new flare to your fall collection!  Happy Fall y’all!

Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.