This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Although re-reading the entire Harry Potter series is always an option, I struggle each summer with compiling a list of good reads to fill my lazier days. While the following books do not conform to a particular theme or genre, I think each one offers a unique life tidbit or possibly a momentary escape from the hustle and bustle of school, work, and the incessant flow of ideas and information in the world around us. To me, books serve as separate worlds that inspire us to interact with our own world as more observant, intentional individuals. I hope these books – although completely random in their order and not related whatsoever – will give you an opportunity to relax, LAUGH, reflect, and perhaps reassess your role in the unwritten world.

1. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

I started reading this in a bookstore in Denver, but I conveniently forgot my wallet and so was only able to read about 10 pages. That being said, I was intrigued by what I did read. 

The story begins with a woman named Amelia, a sales rep from a publishing company who is hell-bent on selling her books to the eternally-grumpy A.J. Fikry, a bookstore owner who lives on an island. That’s as far as I got, but according to those who have read it, this book is a winning mixture of love, humor, bittersweet moments, and lots of emotion and tears (happy and sad!) experienced by the reader. I feel like this is the quintessential cozy read, perfect for book-lovers and coffee-lovers on a colder summer day.

2. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

I was super confused when I began reading this book. For some reason I thought it was nonfiction, so I felt betrayed when my mom (who lent me the book) informed me that the crazy shenanigans and characters were all a product of the author’s imagination. Admittedly, I was a bit disgruntled and didn’t finished the book after that realization, but I really want to finish it this summer with a more positive outlook. This is definitely a sillier, “fun” read, but it’s great material for a beach day or midday pick-me-up.

3. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

I read this book while camping, which really helped me absorb the ideas with limited distractions – a reading tactic that I would highly recommend! There are lots of statistics and studies in this book that can seem daunting at first, but Gladwell employs them in a way that (1) is really fascinating and (2) does not make me feel like I am trudging through a scientific research journal. Basically, Gladwell is trying to trace the origins of success, genius, and mastery that make one an “outlier” relative to the general human population. There is certainly some debate regarding the strength of some of Gladwell’s arguments, but I personally felt compelled by his research (who knew that success can be so strongly influenced by birth date??) and felt more motivated to pursue the “big” goals in my life.

4. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

This one has been sitting on my desk at home ever since my dad unearthed it from our garage and gave it to me. I feel like it is one of those books that everyone needs to read at some point, but the best time to read it definitely varies depending on your current life stage. Personally, I’m a religiously and politically confused college student who experiences an existential crisis about once every two weeks, so I figure this is my prime time. You can find this book virtually anywhere, so depending on who you are, this summer may be a great time to discover (and potentially implement!) these infamous seven habits.

5. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

UGH, THIS IS SUCH A GOOD BOOK. I don’t want to spoil it, but basically, it is a story of two girls – Mariam and Laila – whose lives intersect as a result of their cultural and personal contexts in the war-torn city of Kabul, the capital city of Afghanistan, while it is under the control of the Taliban. I think the books that are the most emotionally difficult for the reader are also some of the most important books, and this story is a prime example.

Whether you actually read some of these books or simply feel inspired to create your own summer reading list, here’s to a summer (a mere three weeks away!) of relaxation, reflection, and literary inspiration!