yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

12 Quintessentially Cozy Activities To Do Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

This week, many of us will be spending time with family while enjoying homemade turkey, stuffing, pie, and other delicious dishes. While family time usually trumps all other priorities during Thanksgiving break, this short-but-sweet siesta from school before finals is also an opportunity to partake in some quintessentially cozy activities.The transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas is the ideal time to embrace the warmth of the season. Live these five-ish days of Thanksgiving Break to the fullest by checking the following activities off of this ambitiously cozy to-do list!

1) Learn how to knit!

Or crochet, or sew – any of these grandma-esque hobbies are ideal for the holiday season, as well as a therapeutic escape from the stress of schoolwork. Thank goodness for the Internet: there are a plethora of online tutorials for aspiring knitters!

2) Go to the movie theater.

Wear the comfiest outfit possible (do not be ashamed if this requires wearing a robe and slippers in public) and make your way to the local movie theater.

3) Go to a play.

Plays are the perfect excuse to get dressed up and head downtown for a night of performing arts (perhaps preceded by a fancy dinner!). Christmas plays are especially festive!

photo

Check out this Christmas classic at the Spokane Civic Theatre!

4) Make Christmas gifts.

Yes, MAKE Christmas gifts! Again, the Internet is a beautiful treasure trove of DIY tutorials that can save you money and make you feel like a creative genius.

5) Get a haircut.

I am personally terrified of entrusting my hair to anyone other than the local stylist I have been visiting since I was a baby. The five-day window of Thanksgiving break is the perfect time to sneak in a haircut (and perhaps escape the family for two hours).

6) Blast Christmas music without shame.

The time has come. Those of us who have been listening to Christmas music since October can come out of the shadows and reclaim their freedom.

7) Make soup.

To me, there is nothing cozier than a big pot of soup. While it can take a while to make, you really can throw in whatever your heart desires (or just keep it simple and pop open a can of Campbell’s!).

8) Throw a crafting party.

Calling all Pinterest lovers! Now is the time to act upon all of your repressed crafting cravings. Take this time to make dorm or apartment decorations, Christmas gifts, and any other artsy projects that feed your creative soul!

9) Have a movie night (or day).

I would argue that there is nothing cozier than an at-home movie night – or, better yet, an entire day spent in bed, watching movies with a hot beverage in hand. Even if you’re not a movie buff, now is the perfect time to catch up on your favorite TV series!

10) Brave the elements and have a bonfire!

If the weather allows, a bonfire + friends + family + stories + s’mores = epitome of coziness.

11) Sleep in on Black Friday and then go thrift-shopping instead.

Because sleeping is a beautiful thing. After a solid night of rest, you can go thrift-shopping to avoid the preliminary rush at commercial retailers – and support local small businesses!

12) Go caroling.

Sure, it’s a little awkward and old-fashioned, but your older neighbors and family members would probably love it.

Happy Thanksgiving Zags, and stay COZY this Thanksgiving Break!