This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Drawing inspiration from the Spokane Women’s March this past Sunday, here are 11 of my all-time favorite female empowerment quotes! 

photo

1. “Women feel like we need permission…we need to lead and change that.” – Emma Watson

2. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up.” – Serena Williams

3. “To tell a woman everything she may not do is to tell her what she can do.” – Spanish Proverb

4. “Of course I am not worried about intimidating men. The type of man who will be intimidated by me is exactly the type of man I have no interest in.” – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5. “I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay.” -Madonna

6. “Alis Volat Propriis. She flies with her own wings” – Oregon state motto

7. “I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.” – Rebecca West

8. “She was free in her wildness. She was a wanderess, a drop of free water. She belonged to no man and to no city” – Roman Payne, The Wanderess

9. “I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.” – Audre Lorde

10. “What if I fall? Oh, but my darling. What if you fly?” – Erin Hanson

11. “I would like to be known as an intelligent woman, a courageous woman, a loving woman, a woman who teaches by being.” – Maya Angelou