10 Famous Women Telling us About Female Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gonzaga chapter.

Saturday, January 21st was a good day to be a woman.  Hundreds of thousands of women took to the streets in every state to show to the world that the future is female.  No matter where you are on the political spectrum, I think everyone can find inspiration in that.  Being a woman has its challenges, but there are so many reasons to stay empowered.  Here are quotes from ten of many powerful women, from poets to actresses to politicians, to keep the girl power going.

1. “I hope that my presence on your screen and my face in magazines may lead you, young girls on a beautiful journey.  That you will feel the validation of your external beauty, but also get to the deeper business of being beautiful inside.” – Lupita Nyongo

1. “I just love bossy women.  I could be around them all day.  To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all.  It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind leading.” – Amy Poehler

1. “I feel like young girls are told that they have to be a princess and fragile.  It’s bullshit. I identify much more with being a warrior – a fighter.  If I was a princess, I’d be a warrior princess.  Definitely.” – Emma Watson

1. “There is a special place in hell for women who do not help other women.” – Madeleine Albright

1. “My great hope for us as young women is to start being kinder to ourselves so that we can be kinder to each other.  To stop shaming ourselves and other people: ‘too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, too anything.’ There’s a sense that we’re all ‘too’ something, and we’re all not enough.  This is life.  Our bodies change.  Our minds change.  Our hearts change.” – Emma Stone

1. “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels.  Life’s a bitch.  You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” – Maya Angelou

1. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong.  I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls.  I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn

1. “I never assumed ever that because I was a woman that anything was off limits to me.” – Christiane Amanpour

1. “No one can give us power.  If we aren’t part of the process of taking it, we won’t be strong enough to use it.” – Gloria Steinem

1. “Be as fearless as the women whose stories you have applauded.” – Hillary Clinton
Portland native with a passion for people & words.
Macy Conant

Gonzaga '18

Student and Correspondent at Gonzaga University from Denver, Colorado. Major: Communications. Loves writing blogs posts, reading, spending time in little coffee shops, mentoring high school girls and wearing bright red lipstick.