You Should be Watching ‘Only Murders in the Building’

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Who knew that Selena Gomez, Steve Martin, and Martin Short would make such a golden trio?

This comedic murder-mystery comes from the minds of Steve Martin, Dan Fogelman, and John Hoffman. The series follows three true-crime podcast obsessed neighbors that come together to solve the murder of a fellow resident in their New York apartment building. Charles Haden-Savage (Steve Martin), Oliver Putnam (Martin Short), and Mabel Mora (Selena Gomez) focus on other residents within their building as suspects. As they continue to gather evidence and grow cases against their fellow neighbors, the three begin their own true-crime podcast where they detail their findings. While watching, viewers can not help but try to solve the murder of Tim Kono themselves.

Rotten Tomatoes TV/YouTube

As the podcast gains more momentum, secrets of the Arconia apartment building are revealed. The plot continues to thicken with each episode released, and the serious subject matter pairs well with the comedic bits. The murder of Tim Kono is eventually connected to another death that occurred at the Arconia, and the suspect list only appear to grow.

With one episode left of the series, I am left baffled by who the murderer could be. If there was an actual true-crime podcast following this trio’s activities at the Arconia, you could be certain that I would listen. The series has recently been renewed for a second season with all actors planning to return, so there is no doubt that the season one finale may end with a bit of a cliffhanger.

Awkward Selena Gomez GIF by HULU - Find & Share on GIPHY
Hulu, Only Murders in the Building via GIPHY

Aside from the obvious talent of the three main actors, celebrity cameos in this series spans from Tina Fey and Jane Lynch all the way to Sting. The show is jam packed with wonderful actors, cameos, and a killer plotline. Is it too soon to make that joke?

If you want to catch up on the show before the season one finale, it’s easy to do so. Each episode is only around thirty minutes on Hulu, so go binge-watch before next Tuesday!

Will Charles, Oliver, and Mabel catch the killer before it’s too late?

The season one finale of Only Murders in the Building airs Tuesday October 19th, only on Hulu.

Laken Franchetti is the Editor-in-Chief for the Gettysburg Her Campus chapter. She oversees all of the articles that get published onto the site, and she works closely with the Senior Editor to assign articles to editors. Laken is a senior at Gettysburg College dual majoring in English with a writing concentration and history. Beyond Her Campus, she serves as Editor-in-Chief of the campus newspaper, The Gettysburgian, and is also the Nonfiction Genre Head Editor for The Mercury literary magazine. In her spare time, Laken can be found reading, listening to music, and watching Marvel movies. She enjoys scoping out new stories on campus and competing in the college's pub trivia.