Why You Should Register to Vote in Pennsylvania

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

With voter registration deadlines coming up, here are five reasons why you sould register to vote in Pennsylvania!

1.  Pennsylvania is a swing state!

Image via Pixabay

In 2016, Pennsylvania voted for Republican Donald Trump to be president, but in 2012 and 2008, Pennsylvania went blue for Obama.  The governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Wolf, is a Democrat, while the state legislature is majority Republican.  Every vote truly matters in Pennsylvania, as your vote could be the one that determines which way the state swings!

2.  You are a resident of Pennsylvania

Image via Pixabay

As Gettysburg students, we live in Pennsylvania at least 8 months out of the year.  This means state and local politics dramatically affect us.  It makes sense to register to vote where your school is located, so that you can vote to make the place where you spend most of your time a better place!

3.  Local elections matter!

Image via Pixabay

Some people may not register to vote until the midterm elections in 2018 or maybe even until the next presidential election in 2020.  This is a mistake!  Local politicians can affect our lives in more direct ways than national politicians can.  Local politicians can affect our lives in more direct ways than national politicians can.  Local politicians help attract business to Gettysburg, improve public transportation, and can play a large part in curbing police brutality.  Many state or national politicians start their careers in local politics as well.  Your vote could help launch the career of the next important congress person. 

4.  It’s your right as a citizen

Image via Pixabay

In many countries around the world, citizens do not have the right to elect government officials, or have to vote in rigged elections. We are lucky to live in a country that values our right to choose who runs the government. It is important to vote in order to take full advantage of the benefits democracy gives us.

5.  Your Voice Matters!

Image via Pixabay

You can’t complain about politics if you didn’t vote to change things! Less than half of the population participates in local elections, so if you vote your voice carries even more weight. How can a community be well represented if citizens don’t vote for people they want to represent them? Voting makes local politicians better politicians, so vote to ensure that the issues you care about are fixed.

How can I register? 

The website you can register at is https://www.pavoterservices.pa.gov/Pages/VoterRegistrationApplication.aspx

And here are some tips to help you fill out your form! Make your voice heard!

For step number 3. Reason: Check “New Registration”

For step number 5. Street Address: 300 North Washington Street

Unit Number: Use your campus mailbox number

City: Gettysburg

Zip: 17325

County: Adams

Municipality: Gettysburg

For step number 7. Enter Pennsylvania driver’s license number OR last 4 digits of Social Security number (either will work).

For step number 10. You do not need to fill this part out.

I am a freshman at Gettysburg college. I am considering majoring in Environmental Studies and Public Policy.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.