Why Christmas is so meaningful to me 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Without a doubt, Christmas is my favorite holiday. I know a lot of people say that as a default answer to the question “what’s your favorite holiday?” but I mean it. It’s truly my favorite holiday. I was already excited about Christmas in October of this year. I love all of the classic and popular parts of it; Christmas songs, Hallmark movies, getting a tree and decorating it, giving gifts, and of course, the holiday-themed coffees at Dunkin’ and Starbucks.

However, I believe while all of the things I listed are extremely fun parts of the holiday, there’s something even more magical about it. There’s something about the build-up to the 25th that’s like nothing else for me personally. I don’t feel that same excitement build up for any other holiday or any other time of year. It might sound silly, but there’s a genuinely different feeling. I personally feel so much more hopeful during this time of year. I feel like anything is possible in the days leading up to Christmas. There is a true difference for me between November 30th and December 1st. My mindset is different. I’m excited, I’m hopeful, I’m optimistic. I feel like there are endless possibilities and kindness is at an all-time high.

I listed some of the big parts of Christmas, but the holiday is also meaningful because of the little things and personal parts of my own experience during the holiday; the inside jokes with my brothers while watching our favorite Christmas movies, screaming the lyrics to our favorite Christmas songs, watching my cat play in the wrapping paper, the excited butterflies I feel when I watch someone open the gift I gave them, opening my chocolate advent calendar every morning (yes, I am 21 and still open a chocolate advent calendar), and admiring Christmas lights. It’s all magical to me. Suddenly, during the Christmas season, it’s like I’m a kid all over again. The smallest things make me so excited and all of the traditions get me so giddy.

Yes, people can easily find ways to critique Christmas and that’s ok. However, I hope that this article depicts some reasons why some people (myself included) love it. It sounds cliche sometimes when people ask “what’s the true meaning of Christmas” and the truth is, it can be whatever you want it to be. For me, it’s hope, love, and family. I love the family memories I have from Christmas. I love how hopeful this season makes me and how much love’s part of it. I love the small traditions and the big traditions. But mostly, I love how nothing else really matters except for the joy and excitement that I feel.

The holiday is incredibly meaningful to me because of the small and special moments that become wonderful memories. I hope that by sharing why the holiday is so important and meaningful to me that it inspires others to reflect on their favorite parts of the holiday season and memories that mean so much to them. As many people say, it really is the most wonderful time of the year.

My hope is that everyone has a wonderful holiday season filled with hope, love, peace, joy, and a bit of holiday magic. Embrace your inner child and channel the excitement you had as a kid during the holidays during this season.

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur