Ways To Cheer Yourself Up During The Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Change around your space!

Wintertime drags on so much and I think that being in the same space all the time can become apart of the boredom you feel in the cold winter. Changing around your room around can cheer you up when you’re feeling the winter blues. You don’t necessarily have to buy any new decor, you can do some feng-shui by rearranging your furniture or switching up your pillows from your couch to your bed. If you do want to spice things up with entirely new items, my favorite place to shop for affordable decor is Target and Homegoods. Homegoods is especially good for cheap pillows. I like to keep my bedding white, and then switch up my throw blankets and pillows every couple of months to keep my space fresh.

Get more sun.

Do you ever feel a bit like a vampire during the winter? If you get up early, its dark outside, and the time you’re down with work or school its dark again. Try to get outside during lunchtime and get as much fresh air and sun as possible. Take your dog for a walk around the corner and bundle up. I know that you want to put off going outside when the wind physically hurts your face, but getting fresh air and a little bit of sun will help you feel more energized during the winter.

Practice self care and get cozy.

Embrace the coziness of staying in at night, take a bath and watch movies with your friends- or yourself if you prefer! Sometimes during the summer I miss getting cozy in blankets, so take this time to drink as much tea and hot cocoa while snuggled up. Have a girls night and do face masks and put on a good movie- laughing with your friends will clear those winter blues right away.

Plan for spring.

Having things to look forward too is a great way of getting through a rough time. Plan a time to visit a friend, a concert, or a weekend away in the spring to look forward to. The time will go faster than you think. Hold out- spring is coming! 

Student at Gettysburg College studying sociology and creative writing.