The Two Kinds of People When it Snows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The first snow came. A lot of people cheered, a lot of people went outside, and a lot of people took pictures. But now these next few snowstorms are totally different. Are you still cheering at the sight of the powdered dust sprinkling down? Or are you hibernating until the warmth returns?

Are you layering up or dressing down?

Winter normally means jackets, scarves, sweaters, gloves, hats, and all other heat-conserving articles of clothing. But there are still plenty of people walking around campus in shorts or with no coat (Or with jorts and sandals).

How long are you able to stand outside without complaining?

The most effective way to tell who can handle the winter and who can’t is by listening to who complains the second the door opens, and who doesn’t say anything.

Are you sleeping under every blanket you own, or with the windows cracked?

Dorm rooms can get humid, but for some people the open window ends as soon as that first fall breeze hits, and for others it continues throughout the winter.

Are you cheering on the snow or cursing it back to whence it came?

Everyone has a snow tolerance level. Some people need to be buried in multiple times before they start to groan. Others curse the first flake of the year.

Are you still going outside or locking yourself away?

Some people will enjoy walking through the snow all winter–they may go outside to capture the beauty in a photo, to go sledding on their stomachs, or to catch snowflakes in their mouths. Others are avoiding the desolate wasteland that is outside at all costs.

Are you sipping steamy hot chocolate or still enjoying your ice cream?

Winter is a great time for some toasty beverages to warm you up from head to toe, but those who seem to be impervious to the cold are not going to let the fact that it’s below freezing stop them from enjoying their favorite creamy treat.

If you’re a winter person, you’re probably enjoying all this snow. If you’re not…hang in there. It’ll be spring soon enough.

English Education major at Gettysburg College. My friends hate me for correcting their grammar, but I know they secretly appreciate it.