Some Thoughts About Returning for my Final Semester of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I have been wondering how I would feel when I returned to campus after winter break for my final semester of college. The truth is, I feel a lot of different things. I feel a little intimidated by the work that needs to get done over the next few months. One thing that I will be doing is writing my capstone, something I have never done before. I am both nervous and excited. I am also overwhelmed by the thought of “figuring everything out.” The end of college sort of means entering the “real world.” While I am actively working on my plans, they are not finalized, so I know I need to work on them this semester. I also feel almost sort of sentimental because I realize this is the last semester of my undergraduate degree. Yes, there is the possibility of graduate school and other levels of schooling, but as someone recently said to me, there will never be another undergraduate experience. When I think of that, I get sentimental thinking about my friends and how I want to make the most of the time I have with them. Even though I know we’ll remain friends, this is the only guaranteed time that we are all in the same place and I want to cherish that.
To any seniors out there feeling a little overwhelmed about the work that comes with the final semester, and the emotions that come with graduation being in a matter of months, you are not alone. I feel the same way. But, as much as feeling overwhelmed can be seen as a negative emotion or feeling, perhaps it is what we need to feel to help us realize how to make the most of the last semester in college. Personally, I am working on facing that feeling of being overwhelmed head on and challenging myself to be more present. I want to take in each moment. I want to push myself to work hard (especially on my capstone, haha) and to enjoy the little things from each experience. I want to try new things and experience as much as I can.
As the new semester begins, I hope all seniors will find time to be in the moment and enjoy the present. I hope we make even more memories, continue to learn in and out of the classroom, and relish in the unique and transformative experience that is college.

Mary James

Gettysburg '23

Gettysburg College '23 WGS Major Education and English Minor Coffee Connoisseur