This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Last time we learned the whip stitch. This stitch is similar in that it is especially good for repairing holes. The benefit of this stitch over the whip stitch, though, is that you can bind two pieces together without having access to the wrong sides of the fabric. When performed perfectly, the thread, even if done in a different color than the fabric, shouldn’t be visible, which is another plus.

So, let’s say your jacket ripped and you now have a hole in the lining. You can’t reach the wrong sides of the fabric to fix it like we did for the whip stitch, so you have to work mostly from the outside, or right side, of the fabric.

To start, create your knot. In this specific example, the area probably ripped because it was put under strain, so it might be a good idea to double your thread, so it doesn’t rip again. Anchor the knot by bringing your needle into the hole and piercing the fabric close to the seam and about an inch above the start of the hole. By staring above the hole itself you’re avoid the risk of the broken thread unraveling further up and just opening the hole farther.

Image via Positively Splendid

Your thread should now be on the outside of the fabric. On the opposite side of the seam, pierce the fabric and bring the needle out a few millimeters closer to the hole. Think of how you put on a safety pin. The smaller you make these stitches, the stronger it will be.

Next, do the same thing but starting on the opposite side of the seam where your needle exited the fabric.

Image via Positively Splendid 

Continue this down the hole. When you pull the thread to tighten it after a stitch, the two sides of the fabric should be brought together.

Now you just have to create a knot about an inch below where the hole ended. Personally, I like to trap a bit of the tail from the knot inside the fabric to make sure it won’t come undone as easily.

Image via Pintrest

And there you go! It may look a bit bunched at first until you get the hang of it. If you’re having trouble picturing the threat and needle movements then take a look at the illustration above.

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.