Reasons to Become a Music Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There are so many reasons to be a Music Major, but here is a quick list of some of them.

Improve Your Playing Ability

With all of the rehearsals for various groups along with lessons and studio class, you will be constantly practicing.  You will see a huge jump in your playing ability due to increased practice time.

Make Your Music Education Well-Rounded

Most high schools may have a couple of music theory classes along with a couple of ensembles. Gettysburg College has a plethora of theory classes. By learning aural skills, music theory, musicology, etc.. you can be a more informed performer.  

Performance Oppourtunities

As a music major, there are a vast number of opportunities to perform, ranging from symphony orchestra to chamber groups. These groups allow you to get a taste of when you can do after school. 

Share Your Talent

Music easily brightens someone’s day, and it can be shared with numerous people.  It doesn’t matter if you plan on teaching or performing music after graduation, use this time to share your talent with someone else!

Being a music major is the perfect way to continue doing something that you love. Even though all of the practicing, rehearsals, and classes can be a lot at times, if you love making music and sharing it to the world, you should consider becoming a music major.