This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

A new exhibit located in Schmucker Art Gallery is featuring prints by José Guadalupe Posada with partnership from The Trout Gallery at Dickinson College. Posada was an illustrator and printmaker who was born in 1852 and later died in 1913. He mainly worked in Mexico City where the invention of the penny press made his images possible for a wide variety of readers. Throughout his career he produced satirical pieces that were directed to the rising middle and working class in Mexico City.  He may be most notable for his depictions of skeletons that we associate with symbols of the Day of the Dead today. The exhibit feature newsprints, sensational stories, children’s chapbooks and devotional images. It showcases offers a variety of techniques and styles by Posada. The exhibit is a must for any Gettysburg student who is interested in art, Latin American culture, and the rise of modern news. In the upcoming weeks there will be a gallery talk on February 15th at noon by a Gettysburg student who will explore the world of Posada deeper and Mexican culture of the early twentieth century.

Tours in Schmucker Art Gallery by students will begin in February.

Schmucker Art Gallery is open Tuesday-Saturday, 10am-4pm. For more information, go to Schmucker Art Gallery, and follow the Gallery on Facebook.

Erica M. Schaumberg is an Art History major and Studio Art minor from Gettysburg College class of 2018. You can normally find Erica biking around the battle field with her camera, practicing some pirouettes, and spending a lot of time in Schmucker, when she is not studying in her secret spot with a cup of coffee.