This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

If you’re a Spotify user like me, you may have heard of a website called Recieptify. This website connects to your Spotify account and gives you a list of your top tracks for the month, the last 6 months, and all time. Using this website, I’ve compiled my list of favorites for October to give you some amazing song recommendations.

PS1 – EDEN

My top track should not be a surprise to those who read my album review. EDEN’s most recent album, ICYMI still has a grip on me, and “PS1” being my top track is evidence of that. It’s a chill song featuring EDEN’s incredible vocals, signature beats, and mesmerizing melody. If you have someone on your mind that you know is not good for you, this song is perfect.

Hmm Peculiar – Gregory Couches

This is a lo-fi track created by a childhood family friend! Quite a few songs from this album show up on this list, mainly because they are the perfect songs to listen to while doing homework. “Hmm Peculiar” is like two songs in one, with the first half being much more upbeat and lively while the second half is more chill, almost as if it is a somewhat muffled version of the first half. I love this song for that reason; I think it gives the song a little extra life and variation that I think lo-fi can lack due to its typical repetitiveness. Another thing I love about this track is that despite the lack of lyrics, it is the only song on the album that is labeled as explicit.

Why do I (with Hatsune Miku) – Hatsune Miku Version – Set it Off, Hatsune Miku

I don’t think I have been this excited about a collaboration on a song in a long time. I first found out about this INCREDIBLE song on TikTok. This song brought me back to 9th grade when I used to listen to “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” by Set it Off and Hatsune Miku’s “World is Mine” and “Aishite”. For many Vocaloids, English tuning can be difficult to get right, but she sounds so good it hurts. The last chorus in particular gets me so hyped. Even though I can’t relate to the song, I’ve found myself dancing around my dorm and singing along.

Wurli – Dominic Fike

I forgot this song existed until it came up on shuffle one day. It’s a solid song and has since been added to my list of songs to play when I’m handed the AUX. I’ve found myself putting it on when going to class because it feels like a song that would play in a movie as the main character is walking somewhere. I think it’s a chill song, and even if it’s not someone’s favorite, it’s a good middle-ground type of song.

what a shame – Lizzy McAlpine

The other album I’ve been listening to a lot recently is Lizzy McAlpine’s five seconds flat. This song sounds very chill, but the lyrics are much more sensual. And while I DO NOT condone cheating, Lizzy McAlpine makes being a homewrecker sound so good.

The New Guy in Town – Gregory Couches

“The New Guy in Town” is another great track by Gregory Couches that lends itself perfectly to study time. Similar to “Wurli”, “The New Guy in Town” also sounds like a good walking song. I also love the melodic elements of this song. Even though there are no lyrics, it still feels like there’s a clear progression and lyrical flow to the song.

Very Chill man y e s – Gregory Couches

Next up is my favorite song by Gregory Couches. This song scratches an itch in my brain and it makes me feel like I’m floating, especially at around 1:17 when the beat changes. Because of this, it is a perfect song to listen to while lying on your back with your eyes closed. This song is also near and dear to me because it feels the way perceptual psychology feels to me. That may only make sense to me and my experience as a psych major, but in my advanced lab, we explore perceptual psychology in regard to aesthetics and preferences. Maybe this triggers some song prototype that I’m unaware of, but listening to this song elicits the same internal reaction as reading and discussing perceptual psychology studies for my advanced lab.

reckless driving – Lizzy McAlpine, Ben Kessler

This song is one of my favorites off of five seconds flat. If I had the confidence to sing this, it would be on the top of my list of duets I’d love to perform. Lizzy McAlpine and Ben Kessler’s voices pair extremely well and I love the structure of the song. They play such opposite characters and neither of them knows what the other is thinking. It’s heartbreaking to hear as Lizzy plays the part of someone completely uninterested and looking for a way out while Ben sings about how smitten is with her. The bridge is incredibly powerful and beautiful, and it not only shows off Lizzy’s stunning vocals but her 10/10 writing skills as well.

hate to be lame – Lizzy McAlpine, FINNEAS

I absolutely adore this song. I’m sure many people, including myself, have been in a friendship or relationship in which you realize you’ve fallen maybe a little too deep when the other person isn’t on the same page as you. You struggle with coming to terms with your feelings, going back and forth asking yourself if you actually feel what you think and what might happen as a consequence of those feelings. Lizzy captures those feelings so perfectly and the melancholic instrumental drive them home. Lizzy is also skilled at picking duet partners that pair beautifully with her voice and the song as a whole. FINNEAS provides such a soft sound to the track that contrasts the power and crispness in Lizzy’s voice.

Johnny on the Spot – Gregory Couches

Last but not least another song by Gregory Couches. Similar to “The New Guy in Town”, this track is an upbeat walking song that is also perfect for doing homework. Toward the end of the song, it shifts in a really interesting way. The melody of the song changes in pitch and at the very end the whole track is slowed in a slightly distorted way. It is really well executed and creates a satisfying outro despite the abrupt ending to the track.

Try out receiptify for yourself!
Maddie is the photographer and a writer for Gettysburg's Her Campus chapter! She discusses her love of music in her articles via album reviews and curated lists of songs to check out. Her Campus also helps fuel her artistic outlet by offering a space to flex her photography muscles - capturing fun moments members and the community have at events as well as beautiful scenery around campus. She is a senior Psychology major and English minor with a passion for clinical psych and a love of Shakespeare. Her love of literature and academic writing drew her to Her Campus, and she enjoys being able to combine her love of writing with her love of music. Also, she is a member of Psi Chi, the Psychology Honors Society, and will be conducting her own honors research in the Spring. In her free time, Maddie enjoys watching Twitch streamers like FoolishGamers, Punz, and Julien Solomita, as well as YouTubers like Chad Chad, Smosh, and The Try Guys. She enjoys playing video games like Minecraft and Pokémon. She also enjoys listening to and sometimes even writing music. When at home, she enjoys going to the local dog park and spending time watching shows like Law & Order SVU with her family.