The Most Common Questions You Get Asked If You Are In Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There are many preconceived ideas about Greek life in college that people hold, which prompt certain questions.  Usually these questions having nothing to do with the philanthropy for which your sorority raises money.  

Here are some common questions I have been asked as a member of a sorority here at Gettyburg College:

Are you in a sorority?

This question seems harmless, however due to sophomore year rush, you will get asked this question about 100 times a day from a freshman.

You joined just for the social aspect, right?

Contrary to popular belief, the majority of girls at Gettysburg join for more than just the social aspect.  Freshman year I almost transferred schools and felt like I did not belong but once I became a member of my sorority, as cliche as it may sound, I found my best friends and girls that were just as goofy as I am and who love pizza as much as I do!

Do they make you watch your weight?

I have not once received a single comment about my appearance or my weight since joining a Greek organization. I admit this was a rumor I once heard and was scared, however, everyone accepts me for who I am: a girl that hates going to the gym and loves chocolate and pizza like every other normal human being.

Is Greek life just like the show Greek?

As great as Casey and Cappie were, Greek life is never like how it is pictured on TV.  Take Legally Blonde for example: not all sorority members have to wear pink all the time, or care solely about fashion and boys.

What are the other reasons besides partying to join Greek life?

Well for starters…you get to meet so many people/girls who are similar to you and share similar interests and it makes you feel more comfortable on campus overall.  Second, you hold events to raise money for charities and it allows you the opportunity to get involved in the community.  And last, it encourages me to become a better person and I know I have people supporting me every step of the way.

Overall Greek life is not for everyone, but here at Gettysburg College it was the right choice for me.  It was not for the parties or the drinking but for the friendship, support, and opportunity Greek life offers.

I am currently a senior at Gettysburg College!  I am an English major with a Wrting concentration and Women Gender Studies minor.