This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Ah, lipstick: the beauty product that’s enhanced kissers through the ages.  An elegant pout, should you choose to apply one, can make you look and feel more confident.  But where to begin?  Below, find some tips for rocking your favorite colors!

Rule #1: there are no rules!

They’re your lips, reader.  What you put on them is nobody’s business but your own.  And anybody who says you can’t wear a lipstick because of your color or gender identity needs to figure out where their life went so wrong that they get validation from tearing you down.  Do what you like.  Like what you do.

Thinking pink?

A pastel or muted pink can convey innocence.  Such a simple color doesn’t overwhelm intricate eye makeup, if that’s your style!  There’s nothing boring about this basic.  Plus, you can always punch it up with a hot shade!

Thinking PUNK?

Mysterious, intimidating, and just plain COOL…this is the legacy of darker lipsticks.  They tend to have really hardcore names like “Blood” and “Witchcraft” and “Kickflipping Into the Sun.”  Unleash your inner Hex Girl.

Seeing red?

Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn with a classic red.  You know you want to.  Tip: many blue-based reds are universally flattering (read: you and your friends could match!) AND make your teeth appear brighter!

Taupe-a-cabana!

(I’ll see myself out, re: pun.)

Nude shades are perfect for those days when you’re running very late but still want to look polished.  Their neutrality helps to enhance your natural beauty!  Use your undertones to figure out what shade is your ideal “my lips but better!”  Here’s a place to help you get started.  

ELECTRIC MAYHEM

Nicki knows it, and so should you: the sky’s the limit when it comes to colors you can pick.  If you can dream it, a cosmetics company has turned it into a fun and functional lipstick.  These shades are almost reminiscent of the crayons you loved so much as a kid.  You really shouldn’t eat these either, but I’m not your mom.  Like I said, there are no rules!

Emily Pierce

Gettysburg

Emily is a sophomore at Gettysburg College. In her boundless spare time, she does theatre, creative writing, and stand-up comedy. Her only recurring dreams involve cooking for celebrities; Steve Buscemi was not a fan of her spaghetti, but he was very polite about it so that's nice.