This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

1) Remember to breathe. 

I know this may sound trivial, but it’s true. There are plenty of meditation techniques that help kick your body into relaxation mode and honestly, the more relaxed you are, the more realistic you are. You need to know that this test is not the end of everything, and a 60% is not going to fail you out of college and ruin your life forever. Breathe. 

2) Plan ahead. 

No matter how much work you have, you’re going to have to figure out how to work on each thing. Stressing about how much you have isn’t going to get you anywhere. Get out a calendar and write down when you can work on each. 

3) Give yourself rewards and breaks for working. 

10 hours a day at the library is NOT good for your mental health. Yes, schoolwork is important, but your brain cannot process anything if you don’t take a step back every once in a while. Make sure you acknowledge that and acknowledge all the work you have done. Balance is needed, in any way you can make it. 

4) Remember your own ability. 

In times when you feel like you can’t keep going, remember to look yourself in the mirror. You have gotten this far and you will continue to make it further. Even a million papers and tests and presentations in a week cannot stop you. You are strong and capable and you must continue to remind yourself of that. 

Image Via: MemeGenerator

5) Talk to your teachers if you need help. 

Your teachers will be understanding. They have seen so much, they were even students themselves! If you need a few extra days for a paper, be honest. If you have a test on the day something is due and you just can’t do it, just email your teacher. They will be accommodating. Their job is to help and teach you, not to fail you.

6) Go to PLAs, the Writing Center, or office hours. 

If you aren’t understanding course material or how to do something, it will only hurt you in the long run. Make sure to stay on top of your work as it comes and get help if you’re stuck. There are so many places that can help you with material or even with logistics, and they are there for you. 

7) If you need to reach out to Counseling Services or Academic Advising, do it. 

If you are severely struggling with the stress of college, social stress, emotional health, anything, reach out. Counseling services can help you with academic advising as well to make sure your teachers are extra accommodating. You do not have to suffer in silence. If your emotional health is making your schoolwork that much harder, talk to someone about it! 

8) Work hard, but don’t torture yourself. 

School is about learning, not overworking yourself on the third floor of the library all day. There is so much more to college and to your education than studying for your tests, so make sure that you aren’t stressing yourself so hard that it becomes detrimental to you. Work is important, but so are you and your mental health. You still need sleep, food, breaks. Don’t deprive yourself of that because those are far more important than an A.