Guide to the Town of Gettysburg: Places to Shop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There are many shops in Gettysburg to keep you occupied when you are not studying—not to mention the outlet shops are a small drive away and the Saturday morning farmers markets in the square. What you will come to appreciate in a small town like Gettysburg is the relationship the local business owners have with their customers. There are many things to love about Gettysburg, which I am sure you already know and have grown to appreciate. But that list would not be complete without the people who call Gettysburg home and work to improve it each day.

A&A

I find this shop to be possibly the cutest in all of Gettysburg, not solely based on the excellently-curated merchandise in the store, but by the owners themselves. You will eventually learn that by living in a small town the high amount of dedication the local owners have towards their community and customers. A&A has wide mixture of products ranging from gourmet food, clothing, and antique cameras. There is a strong emphasis on locally-made products which are prominently featured for your own convenience. Look for their locally-made food, ranging from popcorn, mustard, and jam. You will be sure to find unique gifts for the entire family.

Sunrise Soaps

If you are interested in sustainable beauty products this is the place for you. I am a huge fan of local-made soaps, and this particular store has made it very difficult to use any other soap besides their products. There is a wide variety of scents and bath products to choose from, whether you are looking for a calming bubble bath or looking for ways to mix up your facial regimen. I am personally in love with their charcoal soap and face scrub. You are also able to bring in your empty containers of scrubs to be refilled at a discounted price. I highly recommend stopping in one sunny afternoon to check out their products.

Lark

Lark is one of those stores that feels as if it is constantly changing; there is always something new and interesting to look at. It is the perfect place to find a last minute gift for that special woman (or man) in your life. You will always be able to find conversation-starting pieces of jewelry that can complete a wide arrange of outfits. There is a wide selection of old-fashioned candies in the corner of the store which will always work as an incentive for your man to go shopping with you after dinner and a movie at the Majestic. If you are a person who makes shopping a sport, you will be sure to love this shop.

Gettysburg Polish Pottery

This store tends to be a huge hit with the moms (hint hint). I love the intricately detailed patterns and bright colors. The wide arrange of patterns and shapes caters to a wide variety of costumers looking for a unique piece to add to their kitchen table. The pieces feel sturdier than many other ceramic dishes (but I still wouldn’t suggest throwing them around…). I would consider looking at these pieces as an investment since you will surely be able to have them for many years to come.

Nerd Herd

For the nerd inside every one of us, head to the Nerd Herd to fulfill your gaming dreams. The Nerd Herd officially opened in May 2016 and continues to be fun for all ages. The store contains merchandise and games for the comic hobbyist. The store carries an array of games—card, video, and board games. There is something for everyone! The impressive operation is run by a group of local students. If you love gaming and want a way to support the local community, stop in the Nerd Herd during your weekend.

Other Stores to check out:

Dirty Billy’s Hats

Gallery 30

Fresh Boutique

*Be sure to see if shops offer Gettysburg student or parent discounts.

Erica M. Schaumberg is an Art History major and Studio Art minor from Gettysburg College class of 2018. You can normally find Erica biking around the battle field with her camera, practicing some pirouettes, and spending a lot of time in Schmucker, when she is not studying in her secret spot with a cup of coffee.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.