Getting to Know Our American Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Name: Erica M. Schaumberg

Major: Art History, Minor: Studio Art

Year: 2018

Hometown: Washington, NJ

Activities/Hobbies: Dance, Photography, Biking, Museums, Hiking, LL Bean, CNN

Astrological Sign: Gemini

Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw

Relationship Status: Taken off the market by my lovely beau Stefan (and they’re super cute and whatnot)

Photo used with permission from Mlle. Schaumberg

Q&A 

Favourite TV show, movie, musical, and song: go!

Oh My, this is a lot…My all-time favorite television show will always be M*A*S*H, but How I Met Your Mother is close too. Favorite movie, National Treasure or the Help. Favorite musical, this one is really tough, more recently I would have to say Kinky Boots, but Mary Poppins and Singing in the Rain are my classics. Favorite song, Brown Eyed Girl.

What’s the number one thing you want to accomplish before graduating from Gettysburg?  Before you die?

Before graduating Gettysburg I want to be able to take a carriage ride through the battlefields. Before I die? Add an addition to my house. My grandfather originally built the house and then my parents remolded part of it after they were married, so it will eventually be my turn. I think the house directly reflects my family and how it evolves after each generation, it has become a tradition.

What has been the most impactful aspect of your time abroad so far?

I think the most impactful aspect is just being able to see things. Just to have the opportunity to see icons that I have always dreamed of surprises me each day. It’s like my childhood dreams are coming true, there is nothing better than knowing that your younger self would be so happy.

What’s your favourite thing about working with Her Campus at Gettysburg?

Honestly, just being able to speak my mind, no matter how weird or nerdy I sound. It just gives me an outlet to speak.

What inspired you to go to France, especially as a sophomore?

I figured why not. If I don’t start now, I will never start traveling and everything I ever dreamed of as a child will be all for nothing. There comes to a point in your life you need to step outside of what you have always known, mine just happened now, I guess.

What made you decide to write “An American Abroad?”

I started to read a book called An American Girl Abroad by Adeline Trafton, it’s about a young girl traveling around Europe in the 19th century and I thought the image of a young American traveling through Europe has changed dramatically since then. I thought I should describe my own experience as a way to continue what it is like to travel through Europe as a young American girl for the first time.

Favourite colour/animal/number/food?

Favorite color: Yellow

Animal: Yellow Swallowtail Butterfly

Number: 7

Food: Tomatoes

If you had infinite money, what would you do first?

If I had an infinite amount of money, I would start an organization that was designed for young children of cancer or terminally ill patients. I believe there needs to be an outlet for them to express themselves in a positive environment while they are facing a traumatic moment of their life. There is not that much to do except to sit around a hospital all day. It can be extremely crippling to their mental state watching one life end and yours just begin. They are simply children and deserve better. That’s what I would do, show kids, that someone is there for them even when it feels like no one is around.

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.