This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Name: Ashley Sonntag

Year: Junior, Class of 2019

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

Major/Minor: History and Civil War Era Studies. I’ve always had an instinctual interest in history that I can’t explain. My grandfather watched lots of documentaries on WW2 and studied it and history was always part of my daily life. I went a different direction than they did, though.

Activities: Reenactment, Living History, sewing, traveling, horseback riding, painting, antique collecting, studying antique images, and hiking and being outside.

“She likes old things and dirt.” -Herself

Relationship Status: In a relationship.

“My girlfriend famous.” – The Boyfriend

Hogwarts House: Slytherin. I know they have a bad reputation, but I think I’m an exception to that reputation. I’m super ambitious, but I wouldn’t hurt anyone to get what I’m ambitioning towards.

Sign: Libra.

Favorite Servo Cookie: Chocolate chip; that’s a stupid question.

Favorite Study Spot on Campus: First floor in the library, in one of the glass alcove things. I like natural light, except for direct sun because I sunburn easily.

Favorite Color: Red. Like maroon. Or royal blue.

Favorite Cupcake Flavor: Chocolate.

Favorite Book: Gettysburg: A Journey in Time by William Frassanito. He uncovers a lot of the myths about the photography about Gettysburg that people hadn’t been able to figure out. He paved the way for people to understand what Gettysburg looked like after the battle.

Favorite Movie: Anything Disney. I also like documentaries, putting them on and listening to them.

Favorite Music Genre: Audiobooks.

Favorite Sport: Jousting. Anything medieval.

Favorite Sports Team: The Black Knights

Favorite Animal: Cat. Cute ones.

Favorite Ice Cream: Moose Tracks.

Favorite Season: Fall.

Favorite National Park: Harper’s Ferry, because it has such an extensive history and it’s tucked away.

Favorite Fashion Era: Between 1830’s and 1870’s.

Favorite Recipe: I like a nice roasted ham and mashed potatoes and green beans.

If you could go anywhere, where would you go and why?: First things coming to mind are Ireland or Scotland, because of the rolling hills, the diverse scenic-ness. I would do some sort of extensive tour of Europe and try to take in all of the diverse scenery and ways of life.

What are the top three items on your bucket list?:

1. Have a farm with horses, like with a 19th century cabin on the property.

2. Travel extensively. Even if I’m not able to stay for a long time, I want to have seen a lot of places.

3. I want to have a library or like a collection named after me. Develop my own massive collection and turn it into something people can enjoy.

If you could have a meal with anyone from history or present day, who would you eat with and why?:  Queen Victoria, because she had such a turbulent beginning.

If you were a cupcake, what flavor would you be and why? (As answered by the Boyfriend): “A vanilla cake pop with little glasses, covered in my kisses, and with chocolate sprinkles.”

If you were a dog breed, what breed would you be and why? (Also answered by the Boyfriend): “She’d be a corgi! She’s got a cute smile, she’s short, and runs around everywhere. Could be a German Shepherd. Loyal, beautiful, could rip your throat out if you mess with things she cares about.”

If you had unlimited money, what would you do and why: I would travel Europe extensively (See above). I want to do the odd things that tourists do and the things that tourists can’t do because of money or time. I want to find all the hide-away places and see them. This is how I study history and history is my life, and while my focus is American history, I want to see the influences of what made America, America, and in order to do that, you have to look in other parts of the world.

What is your favorite thing about Gettysburg and why: On the college: Penn Hall. I like sitting on the lawn in front of it and people-watching. On the town: I like how there are residential sections and then the bustling section to create a social center.

What is one thing you hope to achieve while at Gettysburg: On the college: find a direction of what I want to do in terms of a career. I don’t want to shelter myself and I want to break out of the mold. I want to contribute to the community. On the town: I want to leave a mark on the town, either through academics or by being a part of the community. I want to help better what’s here.

What got you into reenacting: I’ve always had a love of history and as a younger girl, I loved the fashion of the Civil War era. And that grew into wanting to dress that way and experience what it was like. When I was fourteen, I came to Gettysburg for an annual camping trip and my family ran into a group of reenactors and we decided to join up with them and see what it was about. I’ve been involved ever since. And I’ve been growing so much and making connections.  I’ve actually become more interested and involved in living history, which is living for extended periods of time in a historical style and as if I was in that era. I sew my own clothing now and hunt around for the right accessories, and I’ve learned historic trades.

What brought you to Gettysburg: I’ve always come here on our annual camping trips and since I was twelve, I thought this was where I was supposed to be. I’d make my family drive through the campus when we were here.

Rebekah Grimes

Gettysburg '20

Originally from Southern California, Rebekah is a senior History major and Classics minor (And former Co-Campus Correspondent) at Gettysburg College. She loves the theater, electroswing, unique teas, the Fallout franchise, red lipstick, DMing Dungeons and Dragons campaigns, experimenting in the kitchen, her partner, and is working on her first novel. She has interned at Gettysburg National Military Park and at the Seminary Ridge Museum as a Brian C. Pohanka Fellow. She is also a Ravenclaw! You can check out her chapter's profile on her here!