Every ‘Gossip Girl’ Thanksgiving Episode Ranked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The holiday season is officially upon us, and what better way to celebrate than to rewatch your favorite show’s Thanksgiving episodes? The CW’s Gossip Girl is iconically known for its Manhattan socialites and elitist drama, and the Thanksgiving holiday is arguably these clashing characters’ favorite day to stir things up… a little more so than usual.

As Blair Waldorf once said, “What is Thanksgiving without a side of drama? And pie…” 

“It’s Really Complicated” (S6:E8)

The final Upper East Side Thanksgiving is a little more underwhelming than earlier seasons, but we still get our dose of chaos from the van der Woodsen and Humphrey tribes. Per usual, there are a lot of unexpected guests at the dinner table. Bart Bass has returned to the scene while he and Chuck are on the outs, Georgina Sparks is back for some reason?! She kind of flies with the wind. Serena’s ex and his daughter, who has an ongoing fling with Nate, join the table this fall too. It’s both Serena and Dan’s first time hosting the holiday together, and well, the last. He kind of screwed himself over by releasing his book’s chapter on Serena’s rise and fall. The season six Thanksgiving concludes with Humphrey’s temporary banishment from the Upper East Side after Nate throws a punch square in Dan’s face!! Can we blame him? 

“Gaslit” (S4:E10) 

Friendships and family are divided now more than ever. Juliet (*gag*) has successfully masked herself as Serena at the recent Masquerade, destroying all of the golden girl’s relationships in the process.  Granted we still see an excess of drama but not the “fun” kind that we’ll get to later. Unlike the other Turkey day episodes, “Gaslit” sees no light-heartedness in its drama and no resolutions but pure maliciousness from an outsider who will find any way in, even if that means nearly killing Serena in the process. Since there is so much ensuing chaos, the episode tends to stray slightly away from the holiday rather than focusing on “exciting” drama at the dinner table. Because of this, season four’s episode feels like the most non-Thanksgiving related episode of the collection.

“The Magnificent Archibalds” (S2:E11) 

The most beloved Thanksgivings are the episodes with our adored main four, but this episode squishes in one too many side characters (looking at you, Aaron Rose). Things aren’t going in Blair’s favor on her favorite day of the year, and she isn’t to blame. She tries to have a better holiday than last year, but realizes her dad is unlikely to show. Meanwhile, Cyrus Rose and Eleanor are about to tie the knot. Season 2’s Thanksgiving starts looking up toward the ending as Blair’s dad surprises her with his impromptu arrival from France with his special pumpkin pie in hand. Blair realizes that old traditions are fondest to our hearts, but she reminds us that new traditions can be just as great too. 

“Blair Waldorf Must Pie!” (S1:E9) 

Laying the groundwork for the entire series, the pilot of the Turkey Day episodes is far from a bore. Season 1’s episode introduces an array of sensitive topics from Serena’s drinking, Blair’s ED, Lily home-wrecking the Humphreys, Nate’s family in shambles, and Blair’s parents filing for divorce. This episode occurs both in the past and present, so we see a ton of flashbacks. The literal opening scene is a flashback to the year prior of Serena stumbling, a little intoxicated, into the Manhattan streets as Blair follows closely behind. During this, “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado sounds to reel in that extra sense of 2000s nostalgia. This episode specifically reveals the introduction to Serena and Dan’s more “formal” meeting, but clearly, the circumstances are not the best. “Blair Waldorf Must Pie” is the official introduction to the van der Woodsen x Humphrey Thanksgivings. While there are some ill feelings and tension all around (as expected), we can appreciate the first season’s episode in hindsight for the painful nostalgia and stepping stone for all of the Upper East Side Turkey days to come. 

“The Treasure of Serena Madre” (S3:E11) 

Did someone say Jason Derulo? Between the whirlwind affair of Serena and Tripp Archibald, Chuck’s unfortunate news for Nate, Jenny’s revenge on Eric, Blair desperately trying to solve what Eleanor’s hiding, CeCe Rhodes’s surprise appearance, and the thrilling news of Dorota’s pregnancy, the cherry on top of Season 3’s chaotic series of events is the evening’s Thanksgiving dinner, to none other than the tune of Jason Derulo’s 2009 pop hit “Whatcha Say.” It is a bit torturous to see Serena’s ill decision-making and poor judgment while Nate Archibald is literally RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER FACE, even willing to set aside her affair with his cousin. Aside from that misfortune, this episode is arguably one of the most memorable of the entire Gossip Girl series. 

Happy Thanksgiving, lovely readers. 

You know you love us.

XOXO, 

Her Campus Gettysburg 

Angelina Stambouli

Gettysburg '26

Angelina is a first-year at Gettysburg College. Outside of Her Campus, she is also a staff writer for the Gettysburgian Newspaper and serves as Diversity & Inclusion Liaison for College Dems. In her free time, she enjoys retail therapy and petting anyone's and everyone's dog (or cat).