This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The Opera Workshop presents Die Fledermaus at the Majestic Theater as their opera this year. As far as operas go, it’s nice and understandable. It helps that since, I think, it’s technically an operetta, a good third of half of the show is spoken. Personally, I also think that the show being in German also helps. Not only does it give a perfectly valid expectation for there to be subtitles, which there are, but it also allows the audience to experience something different – since I’m sure that not everyone listens to German music just for fun.

Image via Daveed Buzaglo

The plot, as most operas tend to, gets a bit convoluted at times, but is easier to understand than other operas I’ve seen. Die Fledermaus is about “The Bat” seeking revenge for a prank done by his friend. The side stories include Eisenstein, one of the male leads, being required to go to jail for a few days, his wife’s long-lost admirer turning up, and a Russian prince who finds difficulty in having a good time. There are love and lies and mistaken identities and lots of alcohol.

The set is minimalistic but easily gets the point across. The costumes are period and nice. The singers all have magnificent voices. It has everything that would be expected of a good and enjoyable opera. I will say that the acting sometimes takes a backseat to the singing in some operas, but not this one. I do greatly enjoy how balanced the acting and singing is.

Image via Anancortes Oil and Tasting Bar

I’ve left my one disappointment for last since it does include a spoiler. The ending tends to be pretty usual for upbeat operas and plays alike, but it’s not overly enjoyable. The idea that all the misfortune and mistakes can be blamed on the copious amounts of alcohol that has been consumed seems more like a letdown. It feels more like nothing has then changed from the beginning of the show. And, while this does feed into the lightness of the show it’s a bit of a let down after the suspense of the drama.

The show will be running Thursday, 4/26/18, and Friday, 4/27/18, at 7:30pm at the Majestic Theater. Tickets are $5 or free with a Gettysburg ID.

Cover image via author

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.