This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

When it comes to Greek Life, there are a lot of negative stereotypes that people think about.  Joining a sorority was one of the best decisions I have ever made, so I am going to do my best to dispel some of these stereotypes.

1. You pay for friends

Source:  Images 5

This is a common stereotype about Greek Life.  And the truth of the matter is that yes, you do have to pay dues in order to be part of an organization, but this money is not going towards friends.  By being part of a sorority, you are involved in a large number of activities, and these all need money in order to run successfully.  There are philanthropy events and donations, sisterhood events, celebrations of birthdays and other milestones, upkeep of a chapter room, and so many other costs that come from running such a large organization.  All of the money to keep a sorority running comes from the dues of its members, so being part of Greek Life doesn’t mean you are paying for friends, you are paying to help run an amazing organization.  And that organization is where you will make friends to last you a lifetime.

2. Sorority Girls are Dumb

Source:  Good News Network

This one always confuses me.  First of all, how do people think that we got into college if we are that stupid?  I mean, seriously, everyone who is involved in Greek Life is working to get a college education, something that you have to be pretty smart in order to do.  Plus, it’s not like every girl is taking an “easy” major.  There are majors from all different fields, science, English, foreign languages, math, economics, etc.  Secondly, there is a minimum GPA requirement in order to join a sorority, and then within sororities, there are study hours.  So even if someone has a GPA that is above the threshold to join, they will still need to keep it up and log study hours in order to stay in good standing.  Greek Life puts an emphasis on education.

3. Everyone parties

Source:   Jenkinsh

Not everyone involved in Greek Life is always partying.  And partying is not the biggest part of being in a sorority.  Yes, it can be part of some activities, but I can honestly say that I have never been pressured to party.  Being part of a sorority is about so much more than just partying.  It is about volunteering, participating in philanthropic activities, friendship and sisterhood, and so much more.  Partying is more like a mild side effect.

4. You have to look a certain way

Source:  Image 5

Many people assume that you have to look a certain way to be accepted into a sorority.  This is so not true.  Sororities have people of all different ethnicities, hair colors, body types, etc.  And furthermore, no one cares.  The only thing that matters is that you love yourself.

5. Sorority girls only talk to their sisters

Source:  Images 2

Just because you are in a sorority doesn’t mean that you don’t talk to anyone else.  It is true that we are all around each other a lot, so many girls have their best friends in their sorority, but that’s not the case for everyone.  Furthermore, I cannot list one sorority girl I know who doesn’t have good friends not involved in Greek Life.

Being in a sorority can be a highly rewarding experience.  I know that it has been for me.  Don’t let these stereotypes cloud your view of what Greek Life is.  It is so much more than what these stereotypes paint it to be.

My name is Erica Boucher and I am part of Gettysburg College Class of 2019. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (and am a total Ravenclaw). I'm the Profile Editor here at HerCampus Gettysburg along with a writer. I love the color blue, singing/dancing to music in my dorm room, and wearing funky socks.