This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I have never used a face mask or scrub before. I had heard about them and seen them on the tv, but never had the desire to actually try Freeman Beauty’s Charcoal + Black Sugar Gel Mask + Scrub. With finals coming up, it seemed like a good time to try it out. And getting out of a five-hour long shift with no desire to be social during Springfest gave me the perfect excuse.

Image via author

The directions say to start with a clean, dry face, which I thought was a little vague. But, after a quick rinse, I felt I was ready. There was less of the mixture in the bag than I expected, but I didn’t really need more. The directions were also vague on how thin of a layer to apply. While drying, it felt very cool – like a wind was blowing. It provided the perfect excuse to sit back and read something for fun. Though, I was then disappointed that the recommended time was only for 7-10 minutes.

Image via author

At the end of this time, the thinner parts were definitely dry, but there were still some globs of wet. Even though the directions said to extend the mask down to include the neck, I found the drying process on the neck highly uncomfortable. The mask washes off pretty easily. I do recommend using a smaller towel or washcloth because it’s easier to wash it in a small sink in between wipes.

I didn’t feel like the mask made my face any cleaner or anything. It did feel softer, but was back to normal by morning. The directions so say to use it twice per week, so maybe it has to be used in the long term for an effect. Overall, it was nice as an excuse to relax, but I don’t think I’ll be doing it often.

Cover Image via ebay

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.