The Californian’s Guide to Living Without A.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

One of the hardest things and most divisive things about living in the first year residence halls is that some of them have air conditioning that you can control and others have none. And with the FYS (First Year Seminar) system of assigning dorm space, you never know what Hall you’ll be assigned to.

So, from a former freshman in Rice Hall and California resident who lived without air conditioning for almost four years, here’s my guide to keeping yourself cool.

1. Fans: The number one thing I can recommend is to invest in a good, portable fan. It doesn’t need to be a large window size one as long as it propels a lot of air. Also, it will be easier to store and move around if it’s smaller. It may not seem like it, but the fan will come in handy in the winter when you need to keep the circulation going and stop from roasting.

Image Via: OCM

2. Hydration: A big thing that can make your life a lot harder and mess with your temperature control is if you don’t stay hydrated. It may seem like a stupid and recurring piece of advice, but it works. The more water you have in you, the more you sweat (at first) and the more cool you’ll become. It’s also good to check out this site (The Mayo Clinic) to make sure you know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke so you can help your friends stay safe.

Image Via: Business Module Hub

3. Knowing Airflow Mechanics: With a little help, you can create your very own wind tunnel and cooling chamber. A tried and tested method is opening your windows and the door to you room. This will suck the air through and bring the cooling breezes with them.

If your dorm is anything like mine was, on windy days, you can tell whose windows are open because every time the wind comes through, the doors shake in their frames. The reason they do this is because of the change in air pressure. With an open door, you can use this to your advantage and enjoy the fresh breeze.

Image Via: Nature

4. Conscious Closing and Opening of Windows: At night, the air outside gets much colder than the air inside and during the day. The summer likes to be fickle, I guess. You can take advantage of this and open your window once the sun goes down. Placing a fan in front of the window or at least close to it will help will pulling cool air inside. As always, be mindful of your safety and don’t open the windows if you aren’t going to be awake in the room and your room is on a floor that people could climb in.

Image Via: Pinterest

5. Store Meltable Items in Your Fridge: Okay, so maybe this sounds weird. But if it gets too hot in your room, you can actually lose some of your cosmetics and other beauty products. So to combat this, store them in your fridge. While they may be more stiff and can be harder to use without letting them sit out before use, it’s better than having them melt all over when you’re not looking!

Image via: InStyle

By following these simple tips, you can stay cooler and keep more of your things safe in the heat, though hopefully, it will break soon and fall will come on in! Until then, have fun, stay safe, don’t die!

Rebekah Grimes

Gettysburg '20

Originally from Southern California, Rebekah is a senior History major and Classics minor (And former Co-Campus Correspondent) at Gettysburg College. She loves the theater, electroswing, unique teas, the Fallout franchise, red lipstick, DMing Dungeons and Dragons campaigns, experimenting in the kitchen, her partner, and is working on her first novel. She has interned at Gettysburg National Military Park and at the Seminary Ridge Museum as a Brian C. Pohanka Fellow. She is also a Ravenclaw! You can check out her chapter's profile on her here!