jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Avoiding the Quintessential “College Problem”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

It’s a universal truth that high school fails to prepare a generous number of students for their transition into college. However, another discoverable truth for college sophomores is the unwritten hardship of transitioning from freshman to sophomore year. New roommates…demanding academics… finding internships… This article will provide you with 5 tips to survive your sophomore year.  

Image via College Tidbit

1. Use a planner. Digital or physical, a planner is your first step in balancing a social life, schoolwork, and possibly a job. Planners are unique to everyone, making them an easy-to-acquire tool that will ensure you stay organized and stress-free when life gets a little busier than you planned for.  
  2. Communicate with your professors. Professors often are very open to communication with students as well as hosting office hours. It’s a recommendable skill to master “the art of the email” for times like these. Emailing with busy professors and attempting to meet with them early on saves students from the stress of scheduling appointments with professors during crunch-time, as well as aiding in developing a relationship with your professor that can turn into mentorship. 
  3. “Team work makes the dream work.” Wise words once stated by John Maxwell, an American clergyman, have turned into a college mantra for tackling hard concepts outside the classroom. Pairing up with peers to study may be painfully awkward initially, however, group-think and idea bouncing allows for an array of ideas to come together into a general understanding of hard principles the professor may not have explored in-depth. The first step in academic success is understanding what you’re learning, and sometimes two people understanding together is better than one.  
  4. Plan ahead. Easier said than done, however, true effort to do this will help you go the extra mile in keeping yourself stress-free. Scheduling study times in advance, designating hours for homework, having a steady work schedule, and being well-aware of college events can surely help any student keep a cool head. Spontaneity is an admirable personality trait, but sometimes jeopardizes studies and work-ethic if not kept under control.  
  5. Remember to consult college health care facilities in the time of mental or physical distress. College counseling services and health services are readily available to students for these reasons. Sometimes academic duress can lead to mental and physical illness that may only set students behind further than they already are. This being said, its wise for students transitioning into a harder semester of classes or a new internship to keep an open mind and have these phone numbers readily available.  
Kyra Pfeiffer

Gettysburg '21

Kyra is a future English major entering her freshman year at Gettysburg College, where she will participate in intramural sports and a variety of clubs. Originating from Taylor, Pennsylvania, Kyra is fond of small-town culture, as well as using pinky promises as a legitimate foundation of trust, and late night taco bell runs.