This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I grew up an hour and a half north of New York City and make day trips into the city occasionally and even interned there this summer. But “upstate” New York is much different than the city and I can only tolerate the crowded streets so much before I need to return to the farm-filled countryside. 

I’ve wanted to study abroad in London since I visited the city with my family when I was twelve. However, as the end of the summer neared, I became a little hesitant on how I would enjoy living in a foreign city for a month. My program consists of a month-long seminar in London with a Gettysburg professor, a one-week travel break, and then a semester at Lancaster University in northern England. 

With studying abroad in England, I did not have to worry about a language barrier, connecting with a host family, or learning to expand my palette to try new food (which I am terrible at). But I wondered if I would get used to the city life and feel comfortable getting around. 

After the first few days of class, I really started to learn my way around the city. London’s underground system (the subway as New Yorkers would call it) is fantastic, clean, and fast and we journeyed around as a class easily to a new site every day. I became used to seeing a Pret a Manger on every corner and could get a sandwich and croissant for a few pounds if I was hungry. I learned that applesauce is not as popular in England, grocery bags cost money, and food expires faster. But the first weekend really solidified how much I was enjoying my London experience. 

I met up with family friends the first weekend and after parting ways, some hours of sunlight were still left in the day. I debated if I should take the tube back but that would have meant heading back to finish the citations for my first paper which I really didn’t want to think about. I decided to walk around on my own for a bit. It is very freeing to not have to be on my US phone (since it only works on WiFi). I have a UK phone and can use either phone to call if I need something but it’s nice to not get bombarded with digest email notifications while I am out exploring. I walked right along the Thames River and kept St. Paul’s Cathedral or the Gherkin (a recognizable modern office building) in sight so that I wouldn’t get lost but I felt completely comfortable walking around. It had only been a week but I didn’t use a map and just journeyed around wherever I wanted to. I walked 11 miles that day with the tour we took and then wandering on my own. I was able to take in the sights around me and since I had nowhere to be, just enjoy walking. I only took a few photos as one of my friends used to tell me that focusing on taking photos can sometimes take away from just living in the moment. It was sunny, warm, and I could not have been happier (well, maybe if I had stopped for ice cream). I’m not sure if it’s that the buildings are shorter than other cities so I don’t feel as overwhelmed or if there’s just something in the English air, but I don’t mind London as a city. Actually, I really love London and could easily come back to work here after graduation. 

I’m so excited to continue this journey abroad and am looking forward to telling you more about my adventures in the American Abroad series!

Mary is a senior at Gettysburg College studying Organization and Management Studies with English and Business Minors. In her free time, she enjoys tutoring middle school students, running half marathons, and traveling around the world or helping others plan their travel.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.