This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

I understand quarantine is not persay fun, or even interesting. I have never been this at a loss for words when someone asks me my plans for the day. Because like, um, nothing. However, this is a really good time for doing a lot of random and fun things, discovering hobbies, and just new ways of passing time that you might have always wanted to try. 

1. Write. Whether it be fiction, your life story, letters to your long-lost love, whatever. Even writing about your daily life now can be really interesting, because in such a crazy time, your writing can be used as a primary source in the future. Keeping journals about daily life or even writing letters to friends you can see are all ways of passing the time. 

a hand holds a pen writing on sheets of paper on a wooden desk. there\'s a coffee cup and a notebook in front of it.
Free-Photos | Pixabay

2. Color (or paint). I’m not particularly gifted in the arts, however I do own some adult coloring books meant to soothe. In such uncertain and stressful times, even seeing a little flower drawing come together is really refreshing and calming. 

3. Bake. I know this has probably been suggested, with the rest of these, a lot. BUT there’s truly nothing negative about spending some time in the kitchen and having your very own reward made from your hard work. 

row of blue cupcakes
Photo by Brooke Lark on Unsplash

4. Go on Netflix Party. You can watch whatever simultaneously with your friends and discuss it. Whether this be the famous Tiger King while you discuss who you think is the most absurd or it be The Perks of Being a Wallflower, newly on Netflix, it’s a fun thing to do. 

5. Try something different with your hair. I am not insinuating you go too crazy, because while this quarantine may last months I’m not sure shaving your head grows back in that time. But, if you want to, do it. Dye your hair from a box, get layers, teach yourself a french braid, whatever you’ve always wanted to but have been scared. 

6. Read! I cannot stress this one enough. Escaping to a different world when this one feels a little crazy is a beautiful way to go, especially when it’s a world you get to choose. There are plenty of ways to get books online if your library or bookstore is closed as well. 

Scrabble tiles that say 'read more'
Unsplash

7. Sit outside. I’ve seen a lot about how the sun hits different when it’s a little illegal. By no means do I mean by near people or go anywhere. I mean sit in the sun, alone, for a bit. It’s a good way to take a breathe, and even ground you. 

8. Reorganize. Even though Anna Kendrick realized that she had been lying to herself about actually cleaning everything if she got the time, that does not mean you have to be! Reorganizing can clear a lot of space whether in your home or in your mind and it is a genuinely productive way to stop being bored. You could even go through your closet to see what you wear and what you can donate. 

Most of these have probably already been recommended to you, sure. But, getting up and moving or just distracting yourself with something is a really important thing when you’re not only bored but especially when you’re feeling stuck. Creating a schedule, something to look forward to, etc., is so important. Stay healthy, safe, and as sane as you can for now. You got this!