8 Last Minute Feminist Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Some days it feels like there is nothing men find scarier than a confident,strong, and empowered woman, so it is only fitting to use Halloween as an opportunity to truly spook some sexists. If you want to go out tonight but still aren’t sure what to dress up as, here are a few fun and feminist costumes that you can pull together at the last minute.

1. The IUD and Planned Parenthood Doctor

A DIY IUD can be made with tape, paper, and toilet paper/paper towel rolls. Although the IUD will require some effort to assemble, the upside to this costume is that you can just throw it on over any outfit without having to change. If you want to take it a step further, you can ask a friend to dress as a doctor and wear a printed Planned Parenthood logo. 

2. Leslie Knope 

Leslie Knope’s style is easily recreated with standard clothing items that you likely have in your closet already. To emulate Pawnee’s most empowered woman, throw on a business-like outfit consisting of nice pants, a button up shirt, a blazer, and some sensible shoes. Then print out a Knope campaign pin to tape to your chest, and the cover of Leslie’s book to slide into a binder, and the look is complete. 

3. Rosie the Riveter

To turn yourself into Rosie the Riveter wear a blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a red bandana in your hair, and a bold red lip. If possible, find some yellow and blue poster paper that you can use to make a sign saying, “We can do it!”.

4. Ruth Bader Ginsburg

To get the look of the incredible Supreme Court justice, RBG, simply throw on a white collared shirt, a black robe or graduation gown, and some glasses. Finish off the look by pulling your hair into a tight bun and grabbing a print-out constitution or a makeshift gavel. 

5. Gloria Steinem

This woman’s Gloria Steinem costume is extra special because the embryonic cell portion of her outfit was actually a Halloween costume which Steinem had left at a party. To recreate the look, put on a black shirt and some large glasses, then part your hair down the middle. The embryonic cell can be drawn on poster paper or a paper plate, and the message can easily be typed and printed out to complete the costume.

6. Billie Jean King

Billie Jean King is known for her mullet, glasses, and white tennis attire. Create her look by putting on a white shirt and skirt and some white sneakers. Finish off the costume by grabbing a tennis racket to carry around as a prop.

7.  Birth Control Pills

All it takes to make this powerful statement of a Halloween costume is some poster board, construction paper, and markers. Don’t forget to arrive at the party armed with a few talking points in case your costume starts up a conversation!

8. Nasty Woman Protestor

Dress as a participant in the Women’s March by donning your most female empowering outfit and making your own sign to carry. Bonus points if you can get your hands on a pink pussy hat to wear with it!

Laura Wagner

Gettysburg '21

Laura is a sophomore at Gettysburg College where she plans to major in English with a writing concentration. She loves spoken word and classic poetry (particularly Emily Dickinson!), tennis, and spending time with her puppy. She is also passionate about social activism, intersectional feminism, and mental health advocacy.