photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

7 Thanksgivings We Wish We Could Have Attended

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

There’s nothing like gathering around the table with your family for some delicious Thanksgiving dishes. But no matter how great tradition is, every once in a while you’ll find yourself wishing to join in on a fun-filled Thanksgiving you see on TV. Here are a few that most of us wish we couldn’t got an invite to:

1. F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

We have seen a lot of Chandler, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Joey and Ross gathered around for Thanksgiving feasts, but “The One with the Football” seems like one heck of a Thanksgiving. A friendly game of touch football brings back some old competitiveness in Monica and Ross from their old Thanksgiving tradition: The Geller Cup. With an exciting game from start to finish, the entertainment of Joey and Chandler making fools of themselves in front of the Dutch woman, and the delicious food Monica always prepares, who wouldn’t want to take part?

2. The Big Bang Theory

In “The Thanksgiving Decoupling,” the gang gathers at Mrs. Wolowitz’s house for her delicious home-cooked Thanksgiving meal. Aside from enjoying her food, attending this event would give you a front row seat to Howard’s struggle to bond with his father in law and Sheldon’s accidental bonding with the same, not to mention the mind-blowing realization that Penny is married. Dinner and a show!

3. Charlie Brown

This classic Thanksgiving story has been one we wanted to go to since we were kids. Maybe not the most traditional food, but who doesn’t want a feast of buttered toast, pretzel sticks, popcorn and jelly beans?

4. Harry Potter

This Thanksgiving features a table long enough to accommodate all of your friends, along with an endless supply of food that magically appears in front of you. Yes, please!

5. How I Met Your Mother: “Slapsgiving”

The fact that it’s Lily’s first Thanksgiving ensures she put a lot of time and effort into all that food. Of course, there’s also the drama of Ted and Robin’s hookup the previous night. Oh, and Marshall’s intense countdown to his third slap from his and Barney’s slap bet.

6. How I Met Your Mother: “Slapsgiving Two: Revenge of the Slap”

Of course, if you’re going to attend the first Slapsgiving, you’re going to want to see the second. This event will teach you the true meaning of Thanksgiving, as the gang shares the gift of slapping Barney as hard as they can in the face.

7. How I Met Your Mother: “Slappointment in Slapmarra”

After attending the first two, you’ll have to conclude the Slapsgiving trilogy with this third installment. You’ll get to hear Marshall’s story of mastering the Slap of A Million Exploding Suns in person!

English Education major at Gettysburg College. My friends hate me for correcting their grammar, but I know they secretly appreciate it.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.