david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Celebrate Halloween if You Don’t Do Scary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Halloween is a great time of year. The weather is cool, pumpkin spiced drinks are abundant, and candy is everywhere. But if you are someone that isn’t a fan of frights, it can be hard to get into the Halloween spirit. Here are five ways to enjoy the holiday without any horror.

1. Watch a cute movie

While many people like to marathon thrillers, watching PG Halloween movies is just as fun! Invite over some friends or curl up with a pet and watch It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown or Halloweentown. You can even turn it into a Halloween-themes party with friends!

Image via Town and Country Magazine

2. Bake Halloween inspired cookies

It’s universal truth that cookies make everything better! So whip up some batter or buy some from your local grocery store and get baking! You can use orange, black, and purple sprinkles to really set the tone, or buy cookie batter with designs already on them. When cooked, you can share them with friends or bring them to a party!

Image via Betty Crocker

3. Decorate your dorm

Dorm decorating is one of the best parts about college life. Bring some festiveness into your room with orange or purple string lights, decorative pumpkins, and smiling witch figurines! If you aren’t feeling like doing anything too big, you can always just decorate your door with spooky pictures that you find cute or funny!

4. Listen to Halloween music

Okay, so Halloween isn’t a genre of music, but that won’t stop you from making a playlist with hits like “Thriller,” “Monster Mash,” and “This Is Halloween” to jam out to! Lots of music sites like Spotify already have Halloween themed playlists or stations set up so you don’t even have to do any work!

5. Hang out with friends that feel the same way you do

The best thing to do during any holiday is spend it with friends. Even if your friends are into the scarier aspects of the season, they should be enjoy a less terrifying celebration as well. Invite your friends to your movie night and set out bowls of popcorn and candy to eat. Finding regular hayrides in your area, carving pumpkins, or simply hanging out together in costume are all excellent ways to get into the spirit of Halloween!

Image via Zahradni Nabytek 

There is nothing wrong with enjoying haunted houses and paranormal movies, and there’s nothing wrong with not liking them! The important thing is to celebrate Halloween in a way that is comfortable and fun for you!

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!