5 Uses of Birth Control That Aren’t Pregnancy Prevention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Lately there has been a lot of talk in the news about birth control and health insurance.  The thing is, that there are so many uses for birth control that aren’t just to protect against pregnancy.  Here are some of those uses:

1.  To keep a period regular

Image via: Giphy

Not everyone gets their period on the same day every month.  For many women out there when they will be getting their period is a guessing game, birth control stops that and makes it possible for women to be prepared.

2.  To get rid of awful cramps

Image via:  Giphy

For many women, cramps can be crippling.  Birth control can stop these cramps and give women back those days that they would usually be lying in bed in pain.

3.  To make periods lighter

Image via:  Giphy

For people who have very heavy periods, periods can be a very stressful time of worrying about changing protection soon enough or having a leak.  Birth control makes periods lighter and sometimes shorter, getting rid of these worries, at least partially.

4.  To lessen PMS

Image via:  Giphy

We all PMS, some of us worse than others, and birth control can lessen the symptoms.

5.  To reduce certain cancers

Image via:  Giphy

The birth control pill can lessen chances of getting endometrial and ovarian cancers, something I think everyone can agree is a huge positive!

There are even more uses of birth control that aren’t just preventing pregnancy.  Visit the website below for more information or to see where the facts from this article came from.  Every women has the right to birth control, no matter what she wants to use it for

Source

My name is Erica Boucher and I am part of Gettysburg College Class of 2019. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter (and am a total Ravenclaw). I'm the Profile Editor here at HerCampus Gettysburg along with a writer. I love the color blue, singing/dancing to music in my dorm room, and wearing funky socks.
Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.