This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

Most schools give their students several weeks to recover from the fall semester. Compared to high school breaks, that’s a lot of time, and gives you a lot of time to do unwind, catch up with friends, and maybe even be productive. Here are 5 things you can do to make the most of your break.

1. Catch up with friends

Text your old high school friends to plan a brunch date or shopping trip. Relaxing with old friends can be a great way to be social and get out of the house. Don’t go out of your way to reconnect with people you don’t truly wish to see, but do take the effort to talk to people you were close to your senior year.

Image via Collection Vials

2. Get a job (or at least a hobby)

It is so easy to just lounge around your house all day in sweatpants, but, let’s face it, that’s not the best way to spend your month off. Getting a job, going to the gym, or trying to learn a new skill is a great way to stay active and feel better about how you spent your time.

3. Spend time with family

Family is important, especially during the holiday season. Take the time to call your grandparents, help your parents decorate the house, and play with your younger cousin at a party. Taking the time to show others you care about them will make you feel better and will mean the world to them.

4. Read a book or watch a tv show

Part of the point of winter break is to, well, take a break. Don’t be afraid to spend time reading a new book you never got around to reading or watching a tv show. It’s a great way to relax and you can even get recommendations from your friends, which will give you something to talk about over break!

Image via Exploring Your Mind

5. Get ready for the spring semester

Buy any school supplies you need, stock up on coffee k-cups, and clean out old folders and binders. It’s also a great idea to update your calendar and/or planner with your new class schedule and with any important dates you know are coming up!

Adrienne Poissant

Gettysburg '22

Adrienne is a senior at Gettysburg College studying political science and religious studies. Besides being a Campus Correspondent, she is involved in the wind symphony, Model United Nations, and enjoys reading and writing for fun!