5 Classes You Should Take Outside of Your Major While at Gettysburg College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The Gettysburg Curriculum can be the bane of your existence, especially if you have multiple majors and/or minors.  Nevertheless, it serves to round out our liberal arts studies and, in many cases, ends up teaching you super useful skills!  Here are five of these courses (already majoring in one of them? Give yourself a bonus elective!):  

1.  Africana Studies

Image via:  Gettysburg College

Chances are you know very little about Africa, its history, or its culture.  Taking an AFS course will fill in those gaps!

2.  Art/Art History

Image via:  Pixabay

Have a hidden creative side?  Take an art course!  Prefer to admire artwork from afar?  Try an art history class.  Either way, you’ll seem a lot more impressive when you can identify the Matisse at your next museum stop.  

3.  Civil War Era Studies

Photo by author

Hopefully, by now you can correct people who assume Gettysburg is in Virginia.  But can you tell them anything about the battle that was fought here?  Take an introductory CWES class and avoid graduating from Gettysburg without knowing anything about the battle.  

4.  English

Photo by author

Take Creative Writing.  Take a basic Lit class.  English majors get a lot of grief, but the basic skills are invaluable.  There aren’t many jobs in which you don’t need to write something or comprehend something written. 

5.  Computer Science

Image via: Pixabay

Like it or not, our world is becoming increasingly technological.  Whether you want to pick up the basics of Excel or be able to code a web site, an introduction to CS course will prepare you for that modern world!

What was your favourite non-major class at Gettysburg?

Juliette Sebock, Founder: Jules founded the Gettysburg College chapter of Her Campus in Fall 2015 and served as Campus Correspondent until graduating in Spring 2018. Juliette graduated from Gettysburg College in 2018 with an English major and History/Civil War Era Studies/Public History triple minors. In addition to HC, she was a member of the Spring 2017 class of Advanced Studies in England and of various organizations including Eta Sigma Phi, Dance Ensemble, and Poetry Circle. She has published a poetry chapbook titled Mistakes Were Made, available on Amazon and Goodreads, and she has poems forthcoming in several literary magazines. She is also the editor-in-chief of Nightingale & Sparrow Magazine and runs the lifestyle blog, For the Sake of Good Taste. For more information, visit https://juliettesebock.com.