Girl And Boy Chillin
Girl And Boy Chillin
Lexi Tokarski / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

The German Club at Gettysburg College offers tons of fun activities throughout the year for students in and out of the department. If you are learning the language or simply want to get into the culture, this club provides a fun and engaging space to learn and socialize.

Make and Eat Delicious Food

When most people think of German food, they go straight to the bratwurst and sauerkraut, but there is actually a massive amount of German food that many people are unaware of. German Club partners with German house to be able to have dinners and baking nights. We have made classic German meals like Käsespätzle(cheesey noodles), Spargel mit Knoblauch (Asperagus with Garlic), and fresh bread. For desserts we made German sweets like Lebkuchherzen(gingerbread hearts) and we drink apfelschorle(apple spritzer) with the meals. We are always looking for new food to try, too! 

Learn More About German Culture

Each event ties into German culture in some way whether that is through food, movies, games, or anything else we think is interesting. German culture is rich and we strive to tap into as many points as we can to learn more about Germany. One of our favorite activities is watching new German TV shows together – they are both funny and educational!

German Practice Outside the Classroom

Learning a new language is hard and takes tons of practice, and German club is a great space for that. Being able to practice in a judgment-free area where you aren’t getting graded really helps to develop one’s confidence in the language. It’s fun to be around learners of all abilities and practice German in a more natural environment.  

Meet People in the Department

You do not have to be a major, a minor, or even speak German to be in the club, but it is a great way to meet people who are in the department or are just interested in the culture. Often, students will come to our activities and join the club to earn activity points for 4th hour credit. Sometimes, the German PLA and and faculty will be there so we can get to know them outside the classroom too. 

German Club is open to everyone and we are always excited to meet new people! If you are interested in coming to an activity, we send e-mails out to the German classes but if you are not in one, e-mail me (wolita01@gettysburg.edu) and I can add you to our e-mail list! 

Tatiana Woliung

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From sunny San Diego, California, Tatiana is a religious studies major with a history and German double minor. She loves Star Wars, memes, and ice cream(even though she is very lactose intolerant). On campus she participates in fencing club, German club, and is a peer research mentor at the Musselman library.