yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

20 Reasons to Watch Over The Garden Wall This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

1. The aesthetic

Image via Odyssey

First of all, it’s very Germanic, which is interesting because it’s mostly English based in its mythology and storytelling style. Not to mention the Georgian Style. Plus, it’s just spooky enough without being scary. Besides all that, the colors are beautiful and the animation style is smooth while not being too simple. And sometimes, if you look really closely, the background looks like it was painted on a canvas. 

2. Rock facts!

Image via Pinterest

We’re all pretty stressed this time of year and sometimes need to act just a little more like Greg with his solid belief in what he thinks to be true. Just look at his solid belief in his big brother. His endless optimism is iconic and relatable to anyone who has a younger sibling who hasn’t been corrupted by cynicism.

3. The rubber hose animation style

Image via YouTube

The entire things is a homage to Betty Boop style of animation where bone structure of the person and/or animals didn’t matter. This was most popular in the 1920’s and a direct retaliation to Disney’s new forms of animating. The Tavern Keeper was actually told to speak in Betty Boop style in her scenes. Everything fluctuates between canvas and 2D animation where backgrounds are beautiful landscapes and the characters are animated in. The lighting techniques are unique to 2D animation and if they are

4. “You have beautiful eyes!”

Image via Imgur

We could all deal to be a bit more like Greg with his calmness in stressful situations. Not only that but he’s able to find something great and fun about every situation he finds himself in. All of this not even to mention the kindness he so readily shares.

5. The sibling bond

Image via Tumblr

For a lot of siblings, this is a very realistic bond. Not to mention that their relationship is one that you can quickly get invested in and appreciate the subtle changes throughout the series. Though there are issues, they continue to work together and grow with greater understanding of their unique personalities.

6. Everything is a happy ending

Image via Yahoo

Each episode does end up going well and working out, even when there seems to be little to no hope for the heroes.

7.  “I wanna steal”

Image via Imgur

The sentient animals are some of the greatest highlights including Fred who loves to steal from capitalists.

8. The unique villain

Image via Villians Wikia

The Beast. There really isn’t a lot to say about the Beast other than THE BEAST! As villains go, there really aren’t many others that are quite so mysterious nor cunning. They are able to pull off a villain that you know very little about.

9. There’s no right or wrong answers until the very end

Image via YouTube

It honestly doesn’t matter what theories you come up with while watching this. They are bound to change at least one, though probably more than that. Still, there’s just enough mystery throughout the entire series that you will never know the full truth until the last episode. Even after, there’s still theories that may or may not be correct. ;)

10. The score

Image via Fandom Wiki

The music in this is so good and ties back in with the main theme all of the time. Each song, though short, has full versions for free on YouTube. In addition, the types of songs in this show are just so varied and catchy that it’s difficult to decide which song to sing. But they will all get stuck in your head.

11. The length

Image via Mondo Tees

The entire series is just long enough that you can watch the whole thing easily in one night. All the episodes together are about the length of a movie. Yet each individual episode is only ten minutes long – just short enough to watch during a study or food break.

12. The Easter Eggs

Image via archive.today

There are so many easter eggs in this thing. It’s insane! There’s everything from subtle ones like Beatrice to almost exact replicas like the Alice in Dreamland sequence. Not only that but there are also clues to multiple time periods, exact locations, and potential plot twists. We won’t spoil all of them for you! 

13. The voice actors

Image via YouTube

Seriously, there are so many famous people in this thing. Elijah Wood, Christopher Lloyd, Shirley Jones, Bebe Neuwirth, Tim Curry, and many more!

14. “Let’s rejoin society!”

Image via Fandom Wiki

It can sometimes be nice to remember that as much as society can sometimes be strenuous and annoying it’s still nice to have a community and friends that you can lean on.

15. The quotability

Image via Tumblr

There are just so many jewels to pick from. Everything from “Follow the compass that’s in your heart.”  to “Horse to make your acquaintance.” There are funny lines like “Here, eat some dirt.” as well as brutally honest ones like “‘You’ll be no good to your brother dead.’ ‘I was never much good to him alive either.’” Here are some other great ones:

Image via Send Flowers

“Oh! You wonderful mistake of nature!”

“I’m too young to go to frog jail!”

“Nothing in this life is free.”

“I just want to wallow in misery.”

“Ain’t that just the way.”

And, of course…

Image via cheezburger

16. The Sass

Image via Fairy Skeletons

The salt in some of these moments is physically palatable. It is very relatable and adds humor to the situations.

17. Awkward Nerd Likes Popular Girl Trope done right

Image via https://cuppofteablog.wordpress.com/category/anime-review/CupofTea

The relationship with Wirt and Sara is done right where he is adoring of her, but respectful and always allows her to make the first moves. He is not pushy or forceful when he is jealous of Jason Funderberker and accepts her decision even though he is upset.

18. Quincy Endicott

Image via Amio Apps

Relatable, just so relatable. Except with more money.

19. It handles dark things in a comedic and light fashion

Image via Daily Motion

There are particular times throughout this show that the true darkness of the situation grabs you. And it’s always surprising because the tone of the overall show is still so light. This is a difficult balance to achieve. However, this show does it well.

20. They allow all characters to show emotions in a complex way

Image via rebloggy

There’s betrayal. It’s addressed but not easily forgiven or forgotten. There’s realization of past mistakes and potential near future demise and in these moments emotions are shown openly and clearly. The main male character cries and is shown to be both fearful and often anxious. The strongest characters are still shown to have flaws and make mistakes. Even the grisly old man cries on screen. Everyone is given the chance to not only feel but to show their emotions and attempt to fix their mistakes. Redemption arcs are handled with grace and allow the acknowledgement of their past actions and while forgiving them, do not ignore the impact of their actions.

Zoe Philippou

Gettysburg '20

(she/her) From Arizona, Zoe is officially a Psychology and Anthropology double major, a German minor, and an unofficial a Theater inhabitor. She loves all thing having to do with culture or really just people in general. She's also a huge nerd who loves crafts.
Rebekah Grimes

Gettysburg '20

Originally from Southern California, Rebekah is a senior History major and Classics minor (And former Co-Campus Correspondent) at Gettysburg College. She loves the theater, electroswing, unique teas, the Fallout franchise, red lipstick, DMing Dungeons and Dragons campaigns, experimenting in the kitchen, her partner, and is working on her first novel. She has interned at Gettysburg National Military Park and at the Seminary Ridge Museum as a Brian C. Pohanka Fellow. She is also a Ravenclaw! You can check out her chapter's profile on her here!