You Have Gotten Too Comfortable and It Is Time to Step Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

When we think of comfort, it is ideally associated with a positive connotation. Comfort is thought of as a feeling of ease that brings peace and a sound mind. It is not supposed to bring pain or frustrations; that defeats the purpose of us viewing it as a desirable feeling. When we think of comfort, it is something we want to be familiar with.

What if I told you comfort is not always a good thing?

I say this because sometimes we get a little too comfortable and being too comfortable can lead to settling. We will get so use to the feeling of comfort that we will be careful not to sabotage that in any way.

Because we are comfortable, we may not feel the need to make changes or do anything that could possibly get us out of our comfort, even if that means missing out on the chance of elevating.

Yes, comfort feels good, but if it is prohibiting growth or reaching new boundaries, it can become a burden.

If we look at our regular activities and things we are involved in, we might see where our comfort has gotten in the way.

You can get too comfortable working a job you hate. It literally sucks the life out of you, but the pay is good, so you manage. The job may have nothing else to offer but money. People come and go from that job, but you choose to stay because of the comfort it offers. You may very well be stopping possible opportunities by staying. It was supposed to be temporary, but the comfort took over.

You could be so comfortable with friends you have known for years, but all they have to offer you is a good time. You may stick it out in a relationship that is abusive or full of mistreatment, but you have gotten so comfortable with the idea of companionship, you stay. You feel comfort having people around you no matter who it is.  Fear of ending relationships (platonic and romantic) develops because being alone is uncomfortable for you.

You might find comfort in being the quiet person because no one can judge you for saying anything that they do not agree with. But by being quiet, you are missing out on the impact your words could have on the world. You will never know how something you say could be what someone needs to hear because you are comfortable in your shell. Your voice could bring change. There is no telling where or what your voice could get you. 

Yes, comfort may seem ideal and at times it is nice, but it can limit growth. If your level of comfort is making you settle, it is time to break lose.

We have no clue what opportunities could come our way if we would just step out of our comfort zones.

Stepping out could bring you a better job doing something you love, friends who can offer support, a relationship that does not hurt or even a voice that will bring people together, connections, and grab everyone’s attention.

Sometimes being uncomfortable is just what we need.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.