This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Meet our Writer of the Week: LaVonna Wright. LaVonna is one of the sweetest people I’ve met since I’ve arrived at this school. She is very intelligent, easy to talk to, and is just genuinely caring and understanding. She is a junior here at Georgia Southern and is an English major and Religious Studies minor. She really enjoys being here because of the great English Department that we have and our beautiful campus. She is a writer and editor for Her Campus, a member of Sigma Tau Delta the English Honor Society, University Honors Program, National Society of Leadership and Success and CRU (Christian Crusade), which she is a bible study leader for. 

LaVonna is a very strong writer and really enjoys writing poetry. At first, she was into writing short stories, and things of that nature but as she got older, her form of expression began to change. In the eighth grade, she began to pursue writing poetry and has loved it ever since. Currently, she is working on writing a book that will be a collection of her poems that she has been writing since she was 18, so be on the look out for that! Although poetry is her favorite form of literature, her enthusiasm for writing still transcribes across the board. She shared that reading is also a hobby of hers. Some of her favorite books include Frankenstein, 1984, and Their Eyes are Watching God. Since she does enjoy reading just as much as writing, Her Campus has done a great job of being an outlet for her to express herself. 

Most of LaVonna’s writing topics are quite relatable. She talks about life, adjusting to college, self-care and just other things that she is presented with in life as far as challenges and experiences go. Her writing style is very positive. Last year, she had a series called love letters that was focused on self-love. She wanted to be empowering to others and just spread love. She does tend to write about light and darkness, as well, because she feels like those are seasons that everyone goes through in life. She does share her work on Her Campus as well as her Instagram page: @_lwright. She also has a blog that she started this summer called “LaVonna Writes”. Most of her poems on her blog are about faith but she does share poems surrounding other topics such as her series “Saturday Haikus“. She feels as if writing has been encouraged her to find her voice, developed her through transitions of life and helped her get out of her shell a little bit more. Since LaVonna is still in the process of fully coming out her shell, we may not see her doing spoken word just yet so, her social media is your best bet to look at her poetry and I would definitely encourage you all to visit for blog!

Here’s a poem she shared with me, just for a taste of her poetry:

Jazzlyn Page

Georgia Southern '21

Sharing the things I think quietly with those that admire me
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.