This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Campus is beautiful and if I had the opportunity I would feature everything. From the beauteous Sweetheart Circle to the elegant pathways, the rich topography to the educated, sweet and genuine staff including the faculty, the great eateries to the avant-garde Recreational Activities Centre, the diverse student body to the welcoming Maintenance staff. I could go on and on about everything that our school has to offer. I am content with the decision that I have made to attend Georgia Southern. The university has done marvellous ventures to make students feel right at home. A great example that is conducted regularly is the passive events that Sweetheart Circle is participatory for.

It is apparent that most people are never graced with the honour of looking at the displays that are showcased on Sweetheart Circle and other parts of campus few times every semester. For example the flag display for Veteran’s Day. These flags are glittered all through campus and around the circumference and the lane on Sweetheart Circle. However, the one I would love to discuss are the wreaths that decorate our campus including Sweetheart Circle. After the Thanksgiving Break students are welcomed by these wreaths that are adorned with lights and a red bow.

At night, these wreaths are lit and boy oh boy isn’t campus beautiful. What is great about this, is that it is simple and yet so effective. There are not a bunch of ornate decorations placed on these wreaths, they are simply elegant. Also these wreaths symbolise, in my opinion, the unity that our school is trying to deliver each day. Our school has a great sense of community and if you look at the wreath it can depict that even though we may not be an Ivy League school or one of the most famous schools in the USA we are great. We are elegant and memorable by our simplicity and our humility. The wreath’s bow shows that we have something great to offer. We have our own fleer to display and we will be remembered.

The true meaning behind a wreath is very interesting. In ancient times, the time of the Persian Empire the wreath was a symbol of victory and success and would be worn around the heads of these individuals. Therefore, if you read any of the Greek Mythology and they referenced wreath of laurels then this is a great indicator of where the word and concept first presented itself.

Within the Christian and Christmas participants, the wreath is seen as a never-ending symbol of constant rebirth. The continuity of the wreath depicts unity among the people and the green colour is also a symbol of continuous love and rebirth. The point that the wreath conveys is that together we can all achieve greatness. This thought is very humbling as the University is not just making our school beautiful, but giving us food for thought with remembering who we are as Eagles and what we can achieve as Eagles.

Chryssie Lewis

Georgia Southern

My name is Chryssie Lewis. I am a Theatre Arts major with a minor in Communication Studies. I have a passion for acting and being on stage. I also enjoy writing and reading. I enjoy writing for pleasure of others and I hope one day to be successful for both acting either on the screen or in theatre as well as writing.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.