nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#WorldMentalHealthDay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Tuesday, October 10th was World Mental Health Day (note that its “World” and not “National”). Mental Health is something we can all relate to. Every single one of us need to remember that mental health, like physical health, needs to be acknowledged, and yet, every single one of us can be so quick to neglect it.

Most, if not everyone, at some point of their lives will experience the struggle of feeling alone, uncertain, or unworthy. I don’t think I know a single person who has never experienced a bad mental health day. Yet, it can still be taken too lightly. It’s worth taking a break for. It’s worth saying “no” for. It’s worth going to a counselor for.

As humans, we are complex individuals, spending our lives trying to figure out our careers, our true friends, our romantic interests, our niches in life; we hardly get the time to figure ourselves out. As a result, we can tend to put that burden on others. However, we are all fallible and flawed. How can we expect someone else to have figured us out when they don’t even have themselves figured out? It’s important to stay in tune with how the media, who you surround yourself with, the news, academics, and more takes a toll on your mental health.

Despite the great strides we have made to decrease and end the stigma around mental health, there are still damaging attitudes around some people that may be ignorant to the effects of poor mental health or mental illnesses. Many individuals in college are even susceptible to feeling isolated due to their mental illness, and resort to grappling with their mental health issues on their own, or becoming dependent on informal support from their friends, roommates, or mentors. It’s okay to go to professional help. Georgia Southern provides all full-time students 12 free sessions at the Counseling Center on campus. There, you can see a staff therapist or even join group therapy. It’s okay to seek help. You are strong, if even, stronger for acknowledging that you can’t do it alone. Resources such as these are available with the purpose to be used. Chances are someone you know either goes to counseling here on campus, or knows someone who does. If not, I’m here to say that I recently started taking advantage of the counseling center on campus, and it’s one of the most positive additions I’ve made to my busy schedule.

(some of the Emotional Wisdom seminars provided by the Georgia Southern Counseling Center!)

In order to continue to break the stigma surrounding mental health, we must advocate for it. We must allow ourselves to recognize when we aren’t mentally healthy. We must recognize those with mental illness. We must create safe spaces in places that otherwise aren’t. We must care for ourselves enough to care for our mental health. Write it on your heart to take care of yourself.

LaVonna Wright

Georgia Southern

LaVonna is a Junior at Georgia Southern University. She is currently pursuing a major in English Literature with a minor in Religious Studies. LaVonna worked as a writer for the 2017-2018 school year, and is now the editor for the 2018-2019 school year. She loves all of the softer things in life and aspires to use her passion for written word to help others become the best version of themselves. Check out her personal blog: lavonnawrites.com or follow her on Instagram @_lwright "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God’s handwriting." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.