Women’s March D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Statesboro- On Trump’s first full day in office, he was confronted by hundreds of thousands of protesting women demanding human rights. Trump’s Presidency signals a new era against human rights, within seconds’, white house web pages relating to civil and LGBQT rights, climate change, and healthcare were all gone! Many Americans were left pondering: What was happening to the human rights in America?

Well a thousand proactive women across the nation gave us the answer. The marches took place all across the U.S.

Washington D.C., New York, Atlanta, and Los Angeles all took part in the women’s march. Even the collegiettes here at Georgia Southern were a part of this historic movement for women. This movement sent a message to all future attacks on the women of America.

One week before the Women’s March in D.C took place, the event coordinators released a statement on its “guiding principles”. The morning rally made way for them to put those principles into action! The speakers, activists, and celebrities all spoke on the broad range of issues that drew together huge crowds of men, women, and children.

The rally and march were both peaceful, not a single arrest was made. Trump’s reaction was for lack of better terms, unbothered. He admitted to watching the march, and even asked why didn’t the same protestors voice their opinion by voting in the election. Seeing how Trump lost the popular vote by 2.8 million votes, I think it’s safe to say that most of the protestors did in fact vote before taking their voice to the streets.

Shockingly Trump, our “new president” supported the march by acknowledging our right to do so. Though Trump winning presidency is the most tragic saddening thing that could happen, it was refreshing to see women unite in such a powerful way.

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.