Why It’s Disrespectful to Call A Woman A “Female”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

The way we interpret things is based on our experiences. Our stories of hurt, heartbreak, and headache make us who we are. Someone whose stories run deep may have a different opinion or interpretation, compared to a concept or idea of someone whose stories are more superficial. It is important that we recognize these differences, because unique interpretations lead to equally unique translations. Now is the time to emphasize that ANYTHING can get lost in translation from ideas, concepts, frustrations, you name it. It all depends on who is saying it, how they are saying it, and in what context are they using it in. The word “female,” like every other word in the English language, can have two meanings, one of which can be very derogatory. The context which the word is taken solely depends on two things: the person who is saying it and the person they are saying it to.

It’s important to stress that the words “female” and “woman” have two different meanings!

Let’s say a guy says “Things are starting to get serious with this female I’m talking to” vs. “Things are starting to get serious with this woman I’m taking to.” Are we really expected to take the context of these two words as one in the same? Objectifying a woman to being just a female is dehumanizing and disrespectful in a sense that it minimizes them to their mere ability to procreate. A female can refer to anything that can bear offspring or produce eggs. With that being said, this word can refer to any animal, any plant, or anything that can reproduce, but women are so much more than that. It is proven fact that society has a long, recorded history of depreciating a women’s value to what she has to offer a man, and, in context, referring to women as females is another way of doing just that. Now, I understand that every word or saying a person uses isn’t in an attempt to blatantly disrespect woman, and I also understand that one may not know how a word as simple as “female” can make on feel objectified. However, we must all grasp on to the fact that that is no excuse. Just as there are so many who are ignorant to their racism or privilege, there are those who are ignorant to their sexism.  A lot of women view the term as misogynistic because of its contemptuous nature. When men label a woman as a “female,” I see it as another way to exhibit power and inferiority over us. It’s significant that we remember that just as we can never allow the oppressor to define what it or isn’t racism because then it’ll claim it is never racist, we can NOT allow a misogynist to define what is or isn’t misogyny because then it’ll claim it is never misogynistic. It is in the same sense. If one feels as if the diction of a man is invective, then we must listen and understand as to why.

Some people believe that, in this day and age, the younger generations have grown to be “too sensitive.” They believe that we make a big deal out of the little things and that we can’t pick and choose our battles. I have to disagree. It’s not that we are too sensitive, it’s that we’ve grown up in a feminist movement where we have become more aware of our role and power in society. We are finally enlightened, and now we fear anything that can take that mental power and enlightenment away. History repeats itself and society is aware of this. It has been a long, hard road for woman, and we have come so far. Excuse us for wanting to be more than just a female.

Da'Jia Daniel

Georgia Southern '22

Da'Jia is a Public Health major at Georgia Southern University who believes in the power of voice. As a heavy activist, she believes in speaking up for whatever you are passionate about and having pride in doing just that. Her favorite activities include writing, playing the violin, and spending time with her friends and family. She values all the connections she makes throughout life, good and bad.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.