What will you miss most during winter break?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

As we continue into the cold days of lounging on the couch and sleeping in until noon during our winter break we begin to miss our good old small town of Statesboro, GA. As much as we all complain about the lack of shopping and entertainment we still end up missing the college life. Being home for break is a big change from the college life, you have a curfew, you have to ask before you can do things, you no longer have that freedom you have grown so accustomed to over the past couple of months… You begin to miss Statesboro and wish you could be back soon to enjoy the small, not so nice, but amusing things to do around town.

FIRST THINGS FIRST (I’m the realist) CAMPUS

THE Georgia Southern University Campus, it’s so small and yet so big and filled with so many amenities for all students. During the break, you will begin to get excited for the new semester and all the classes you and your new bestie have together. Once you start looking forward to the new semester you will begin to miss grabbing that white mocha latte from the library while “working on your paper”, or those delicious palfy’s from the Market Street Deli right before class (even though it takes 30 min just to receive your order). What about taking a nice long walk through campus and sitting by the lakes as the sunsets?  Ahh… you’re missing it now aren’t you? Our campus is so gorgeous in all seasons, it’s a pity you’re missing out on the beauty of campus right this very moment as you finish up a bag of Hot Cheetos on the couch.

Speaking of campus! What about that SWEETHEART? (no not your new college bae)

Ahh, yes Sweetheart Circle is currently lit with Christmas Lights and Décor this time of year… In a secluded part of the campus, it’s a great place to hang up your ENO and lounge out while catching up on your class reading for the quiz/test you have the next day. Although the weather may not be permitting for outdoor recreation, you can still reminisce on the early warm days of fall semester when you and your friends have an intense game of Ultimate on the green grass on Sweetheart. And hey, you can still have some fun out on Sweetheart in this chilly weather just bundle up and bring a thermos filled with some hot cocoa!

I bet you even miss the bustling campus life, including free stuff organizations are always handing out around the Rotunda.

There is always something going on at the Rotunda, although it may not be located at the center of campus it is the center of activity here at Georgia Southern. I’m sure you’re ready to see what organizations are going to do this coming semester around the rotunda. Who will have a bake sale? Who will be selling funnel cakes (YES FUNNEL CAKES)?  What new clubs or organizations can I join? There is something for everyone at the rotunda, keep your eyes open next semester. I’m sure you are really missing campus right now all the people, all the talk, the community is truly UNIQUE.

NEW YEAR, NEW YOU? I think the RAC can help with that!

New Years resolutions are approaching, many will choose to become healthier or become more fit in the New Year. Bet you are just counting down the days until you can come back and use the RAC facilities. Don’t forget that the hours and group fitness schedules change every semester so don’t be afraid to ask for a schedule at the front desk. You’re already paying for your RAC membership in your tuition, way better than having to get a gym membership elsewhere in Statesboro. Hurry back and don’t forget LEG DAY!

Other than missing campus life and amenities, Statesboro has off-campus entertainment to offer the College population.

The Clubhouse, no it’s not on campus or at an apartment complex!

Think about all the fun you and your friends will have next semester at the clubhouse! They offer a College Night Pass every Sunday-Thursday from 6pm-close for only $9.99 (excluding shoes) when you show your student ID, you get UNLIMITED BOWLING, LASER TAG, and MINI GOLF! Man what a deal, if that doesn’t get you excited to be back in Statesboro already with your friends then there is something definitely wrong with you.

And what about going out to the movies?!

Did you know that Carmike, although old and small, offers student discount on movies? They also hold movie premiers on Thursdays at 8pm! Personally I love going to Carmike with my friends. Ahhh movies at Carmike are always a pleasure, and a lot cheaper than going to a Regal or AMC back home.

The number one thing that you should be missing during Winter Break is….

GEORGIA SOUTHERN FOOTBALL!! Because we are NUMBER ONE and there is no football to look forward to in the spring other than the Super Bowl!! 

Sandra Morales

Georgia Southern

Hi my name is Sandra, I am a 3rd year here at Georgia Southern University studying Spanish and International Studies. I am from Norcross, Ga in Gwinnett County. I am hispanic, my mother is Mexican and my father is Guatemalan. I'm just your average normal college girl looking to make the grade and excell in life after college. I'm a very caring and understanding person who loves making people happy. If you see me around campus don't be shy and say HI :D 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.