Turns Out I’m 100% A Lizzo Stan: Why We Need Lizzo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Lizzo has been consistently making her mark in the music industry. She is loudly in front of your face with an aura that you cannot help but love. In an industry that holds a history of not being too accepting of plus-size women, leave it to Lizzo to show us how it’s done! Lizzo is much more than an artist. Her fans can count on her to release bops that are full of valuable messages, or even expect motivational speeches mid-performance. This woman spreads light and joy wherever she steps and still is climbing up the Billboard music charts. There is clearly more to Lizzo than just music.

“I understand how difficult it is to ‘just love yourself’ in a society in which the media quite literally tells us that we don’t have enough money to love ourselves.”

I would not be surprised if when people thought of Lizzo, self-love was the first thought that came to mind. If it is one thing I am sure of, it is that Lizzo is the epitome of what it means to love yourself. She is not too afraid to admit that it is not a linear process, but there is still stability in knowing who you are and loving that. 

Lizzo literally yells at us messages that we need to get through are heads. Don’t give up, love yourself, focus on the dream/goal, do what YOU like, don’t let anyone bring you down and keep you thee, and take care of yourself are just a few of the reminders that Lizzo tells her fans whenever she gets the chance. 

Lizzo is not afraid to speak her mind, and that’s something many of us aspire to be. She is bold on and off the mic and people listen. 

“I don’t think that loving yourself is a choice. I think that it’s a decision that has to be made for survival; it was in my case. Loving myself was the result of answering two things: Do you want to live? ‘Cause this is who you’re gonna be for the rest of your life. Or are you gonna just have a life of emptiness, self-hatred and self-loathing? And I chose to live, so I had to accept myself.”

Body positivity is becoming more mainstream and  the way to go. Lizzo gives those of us who may have insecurities, hope. As mentioned before, plus-size women are not usually ideal. We have grown up hearing stories of artists taking extreme measures to alter their body image all for the hopes of being liked. The peer pressure to change into something else to make sales or be favored by others has always been a sick idea, but too close to home for many.

Lizzo lets us know that by simply being yourself, you can, and you will get far. I find out awesome that she chooses to use her platform to do more than sing. For some people, Lizzo may be the closest thing to them that encourages self-love. People will respect you, and if they don’t, they’re not for you. Social norms get stomped out the minute we began to do what’s best for us, not what others think we should do or be. 

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.