This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Are you someone that goes that extra mile for your loved ones? When you are running low, do you find yourself stretching your last bit of effort to make anything easier for a friend? If that sounds anything like you, you may have a huge heart. Don’t feel ashamed, there’s nothing wrong with that. Keep loving the people around you and proving that love wins every time.

With that being said, while you are looking out for others, please, make sure you are taking care of yourself as well! I know sometimes we get caught up in just going with the flow. In college, I know it is extremely easy to get caught up in work or lending your hand out to help out whether that be in your classes or standing out in your student organizations as a leader or whatever it may be. Sometimes you have to take a breath and think about yourself. Socially, this may cause issues especially if you are the nurturer in your friend groups. When you have made yourself available to everyone’s needs, it becomes routine to them. They get used to you being there every call, so when you start to focus on yourself tension may arise. 

With that being said: choosing yourself is, in no way, a crime.

Now, for some of us, this may seem hard at first. I know that sometimes I have trouble removing my hand from the pot and I have to force myself because this form of maintenance is very necessary to our well-being. Don’t get me wrong, helping others is just as rewarding but can be draining at the same time when you are constantly valuing others over your own state of mind. You need to care for yourself just as much as you care for the people around you.

If you’re up for the challenge, I triple dog dare you to dedicate seven whole days to your personal self-care. For one week, just put yourself first. Whatever piece of your life needs attention make time to focus and commit to that this week. Get back into reading, take yourself out on a little date, go shopping, get back in the gym, make some time for your hobby, spend time with your significant other, whatever floats your boat; just do it. Pump the brakes. Live life a little slower this week (but make sure to stay on top of your business). Take time to manifest in your thoughts and think about your future. Take some time to thoroughly plan or just kick back and listen to some music, the medicine for the soul. All of these simple tasks can make a dramatic boost to your emotional and mental health. All you have to do is take this challenge seriously.

In a world so chaotic, it’s great to know that people who genuinely care still exist, true care givers. We need more nurturing in the world. If we all cared a little more about the well-being of the next, I’m sure the world would be a better place. Even the smallest acts of kindness could make a difference in someone’s life. So, go, show love to the people around you every chance you get. Put good out in the world because it will come back to you in various forms. Just care responsibly, meaning whatever you give out, you put back into yourself.

Go love yourself and have an amazing week!

Jazzlyn Page

Georgia Southern '21

Sharing the things I think quietly with those that admire me
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.